How to install new fonts?
    How do I install new fonts without messing up entire computer? Previously I wanted to install 1000 fonts on my new imac and it turned out that different fonts were displaying in other applications, so it looked like default fonts were replaced by fonts I installed. Weird, because according to mac os I didnt give permission to replace any fonts... even deleting and returning to default fonts didnt help. I had to re-install mac os.

I really need to install more fonts. I'm looking for place where I can download/buy more fonts for mac os. I mean hundreds or thousands. And instruction how to install new fonts without problems like before.

PS: and of course new fonts installed are not displayed in photoshop or word.. WHY?

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    dafont.com is a good place to start. When you have clicked to dl it and its in your dl folder, all i do is double click on it and then it opens fontbook.app and viola your there

Ther reason they are not in PS or word is because they are being put in a System Folder ....
    You might have to load them into those Apps once there open .. Dont quote me on that one tho
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

thnx! After installation I can delete the folder since the system already copied them to the system folder - right?

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    I would use a font manager to manage your fonts especially if you are installing 1,000 at one time. That can mess up your computer if you are installing that many at one time. Especially if you are just dragging them into your font folder. >_>"

Linky to font managers.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Listen to CR. Fonts eat up RAM *all the time* (not just when they are being used) if you don't use a font manager.

For the record though -- there are only TWO places you need to put fonts. If you want all user accounts to have access to the fonts, put them in /Library/Fonts (do NOT repeat do NOT put them in /System/Library/Fonts!). If you want only you to have access to them, put them in /Users/(you)/Library/Fonts.

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    If you are going to use a lot of fonts I would recommend using a proper font manager instead

Font book is not the best app, the free font explorer is much much better

Linotype FontExplorer X Download - Softpedia

If you really want to manage your fonts well I suggest the suitcase guide (another font management tool - not free) to best font practices in OS X (the guide is free)

Best Practices for Managing Fonts in Mac OS X - 6th Edition (updated: Oct. 2009)

Just substitute use Suitcase with use Linotype FontExplorer
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Specs:
    2 21.5" iMacs 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.11.5; 2 iPads iOS 9.3;2 iPhone 4s iOS 9.3
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Listen to CR. Fonts eat up RAM *all the time* (not just when they are being used) if you don't use a font manager.

For the record though -- there are only TWO places you need to put fonts. If you want all user accounts to have access to the fonts, put them in /Library/Fonts (do NOT repeat do NOT put them in /System/Library/Fonts!). If you want only you to have access to them, put them in /Users/(you)/Library/Fonts.
    I like Garamond but its not in the Mac Font folder although it's in a PC (Window/Fonts) but presumably I can't copy it down to a Mac?

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    If it's a Truetype font, it will work fine on a Mac. If it's a Postscript font, you'll have to buy a Mac version of the font.

And yes, Garamond is one of the all-time classics IMO.

Thread Information