New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Using full screen...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

paulmac

paulmac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.8GHz, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT

Hi i got mt macbook pro today and i wanted to know how you get like safari to open in full screen as aposed to just part of it? also, will using the macbook plugged in all the time ruin the battery? should i charge it then take out the mains adapter and just use the battery?

17" MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.8GHz, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB graphics, 500GB Hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac G3 800MHz :D | PowerMac G4 | MacBook Pro 15" 2.8GHz C2D 500GB HDD 4GB 9600M / 9600M GT 10.7.1

You can't maximise windows in OSX best thing you can do is use the grab corner in the bottom right to resize the window to how you like.
Keeping your MBP plugged in won't ruin your battery, once your battery is charged it will stop the flow into the battery.

- Simon

Rest In Peace Steven Paul Jobs February 24, 1955 - October 5, 2011 [aged 56]
If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system just above the post to the right.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
paulmac

Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.8GHz, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT

ok ive dragged it out and thats fine thanks, and im glad it wont ruin the battery but thought id make sure about that, thanks for your help

17" MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.8GHz, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB graphics, 500GB Hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac G3 800MHz :D | PowerMac G4 | MacBook Pro 15" 2.8GHz C2D 500GB HDD 4GB 9600M / 9600M GT 10.7.1

That's what we are here for

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system just above the post to the right.
May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
wavinwayne

wavinwayne has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"

FWIW, Chrome and Firefox have a full screen view option. Just saying...

Don't believe anything I tell you, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

True, some apps do have FULL screen as in nothing else on the screen, usually the keyboard combination is Shift+CMD+F

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
paulmac

cool, will check that out whats the most common browser people tend to use on the mac?

QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Safari, Firefox, Opera, and Google Chrome are the most popular.

I prefer Safari although it has been using quite a bit of memory lately...
QUOTE Thanks
wavinwayne

wavinwayne has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
cool, will check that out whats the most common browser people tend to use on the mac?
My favorite is Chrome. My wife likes Safari. Neither of us ever use Firefox. I tried Opera for a couple of weeks (in Windows), but couldn't find a compelling reason to keep it.

Don't believe anything I tell you, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I don't have a laptop, but I recently read somewhere that running one off power all the time is not a good idea. Sorry, I can't recall more than that, or supply the source.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I don't use Chrome due to privacy concerns (Google has gone rogue, in a nutshell). Safari is far and away the most popular browser on the Mac because a) it's the default option and b) it's really very good, particularly as of v5.

Not to diss the other browsers -- Firefox is nice, Camino is nice, SRWare Iron is a nice alternative to Chrome but without the privacy issues, and there's Flock and Opera and iCab and many others. No shortage of decent browsers out there.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

You can also use this to get Safari to do the same...

Download Right Zoom for Mac - Changes the default behavior of the green window zoom button. MacUpdate.com

I use it and it works well.
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
I don't have a laptop, but I recently read somewhere that running one off power all the time is not a good idea. Sorry, I can't recall more than that, or supply the source.
On Windows machines, the charger is always supplying power to the battery, which shortens the life of it. Once a MBP is charged, the charger stops supplying power to the battery so it won't harm the battery.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I don't use Chrome due to privacy concerns (Google has gone rogue, in a nutshell).
I'm always interested when individuals make these claims as many of the privacy issues with Chrome are old (a Google search will show that most articles concerning the privacy issues with Chrome are at least two years old) and many of the features that require you to send info to Google can be disabled. That which can't be disabled, such as the installation token, is randomly generated and deleted after the first update check by Chrome. What privacy issues bother you the most? Beyond that, whose to say that some closed source browsers such as Safari don't send info?

Source for Chrome info.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

1. Chrome was designed from the ground up as a data-mining tool of its users habits. Chrome continues to track where users surf and reports that information back to Google in service of its advertising business (ie its only source of revenue).

2. A privacy paper FROM GOOGLE about how "transparent" Chrome is rates about as highly as a memo from the Bush administration explaining how they don't torture.

Here's a competing link that should tell you everything you need to know about Google's regard for your privacy, even though it does not apply specifically to Chrome.

Here's another one about Google Buzz. I'm supposed to believe that Chrome has somehow changed Google from this pattern of behaviour?? Puh-lease.

Google's voluntary assistance to help the Chinese government find and imprison dissidents, along with their participation in the much-scorned (but eventually adopted in large measure) "fake net neutrality" FCC proposals are more than enough evidence for any thinking person to realise that Google is not paying any attention whatsoever to their former corporate motto, "Don't Be Evil."

One can't boycott Google -- they're already so invasive in everything that happens on the internet that it's virtually impossible to avoid them -- but I'm not about to give them free access to my browsing history for them to resell to marketers. Thanks anyway.

Apple, on the other hand, has proven time and time again that they do not abuse or compromise any data they may collect about me to third parties without my permission.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Eject not working on OS X 10.6.4 | changing the default print quality »