New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Is the 3rd time a charm?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Islandtime

Islandtime is on a distinguished road

I've admired the 13" Macbook Pro for a few years now and on two spearate occasions have purchased and ended up returning them. I have been a power user of MS Office for years and couldn't settle for the watered-down Mac version. Most importantly, I was not willing to use Entourage in place of MS Outlook. Long story short, MS Office 11 has arrived and it looks great! So now I must decide between the 2.4 or the 2.66 13" MB Pro. I will primarily be using it for internet, e-mail and might get into Photoshop and Lightroom down the road. As much as I like some of the performance upgrades in the 15" MB, I really like the portability of the 13. Can anyone tell me how much difference there is between these two 13" models? Can you really tell the difference? Also, I've considered carefully searching for a slightly used MB on Craigslist, but I'm wary. While I wouldn't buy a used one for $100 less than I could buy one new for, saving $300-600 is quite enticing. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

No you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between .26 ghz.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandtime View Post
I've admired the 13" Macbook Pro for a few years now and on two spearate occasions have purchased and ended up returning them. I have been a power user of MS Office for years and couldn't settle for the watered-down Mac version. Most importantly, I was not willing to use Entourage in place of MS Outlook. Long story short, MS Office 11 has arrived and it looks great! So now I must decide between the 2.4 or the 2.66 13" MB Pro. I will primarily be using it for internet, e-mail and might get into Photoshop and Lightroom down the road. As much as I like some of the performance upgrades in the 15" MB, I really like the portability of the 13. Can anyone tell me how much difference there is between these two 13" models? Can you really tell the difference? Also, I've considered carefully searching for a slightly used MB on Craigslist, but I'm wary. While I wouldn't buy a used one for $100 less than I could buy one new for, saving $300-600 is quite enticing. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
As stated above, the 226 mhz difference will not be seen. PS and Lightroom both will need at least 4gb of RAM for maximum efficiency, if not more. Make sure you get yourself a 7200 rpm hard drive, aftermarket, of course. A faster hard drive will show more improvement over a faster processor.

As far as buying off Craigslist, don't feel afraid to. Just make sure you check it out and use it a bit before purchasing. Also check Apple for refurbs.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

So, before I even spend more time than it took to type this, and copy, paste and quote the following....
Quote:
I've admired the 13" Macbook Pro for a few years now and on two spearate occasions have purchased and ended up returning them.
Why?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
So, before I even spend more time than it took to type this, and copy, paste and quote the following....

Why?
Something about having to use Windows and not like Microsoft Word for Mac. Which could have been remedied through bootcamp, or through a Virtual Machine running Windows...but I digress. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Islandtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post

Why?
As I mentioned, MS Office for Mac was HORRIBLE at the time and Entourage does a fraction of what Outlook can do. I don't really want to run Windows on my Mac if I don't have to; what is the point of that?

In regards to Craigslist, I have located a very good deal and he tells me the box is sealed. I asked him where it came from and he won't disclose that because he said I will go there to buy one instead. I ran the serial numbers on Apple's website which simply confirms warranty, but doesn't tell me if it is stolen or not. He is selling a 13" 2.66ghz for $1,250 which seems like a great deal. Suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:
As I mentioned, MS Office for Mac was HORRIBLE at the time and Entourage does a fraction of what Outlook can do. I don't really want to run Windows on my Mac if I don't have to; what is the point of that?

In regards to Craigslist, I have located a very good deal and he tells me the box is sealed. I asked him where it came from and he won't disclose that because he said I will go there to buy one instead. I ran the serial numbers on Apple's website which simply confirms warranty, but doesn't tell me if it is stolen or not. He is selling a 13" 2.66ghz for $1,250 which seems like a great deal. Suggestions?
If you buy on Craigslist, like I said, make sure you use it. Make sure you check all the ports to make sure it works, as well as the CD drive.

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.) That would be fine for you, and is a bit cheaper.

Heck, http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC...co=MTgwOTc3MzM is the same product for a bit more. I would offer that guy probably $950, max for the one off CL.

I wouldn't buy that off craigslist, as it seems over priced. If you can, check out your local Best Buy and see if they have any open boxed items. You save like $200 and it should keep the same warranty.

Edit: you said it's never been opened. I would offer like $1100.

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
Islandtime

There are definitely no deals to be found directly from Apple. Best Buy is going to offer a $125 gift card and interest-free financing for 18 months on Friday. I am very leary of CL; just takes a few scumbags to ruin it for everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:
There are definitely no deals to be found directly from Apple. Best Buy is going to offer a $125 gift card and interest-free financing for 18 months on Friday. I am very leary of CL; just takes a few scumbags to ruin it for everyone.
Do Best-Buy then.

Throw it on the credit card, and you'll be good.

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

V6Pony has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

Quote:
I just bought a MBP 15" i7 last week. Wonder if I can get the $125. gift card?
QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

Just remember you said in your OP, you cant do without outlook. Outlook is missing a KEY feature at present i.e calendar sync
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« which laptop to buy? | Which one is faster? »