New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Flash Player warning

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Hi,

A friend of mine running a new 2010 Macbook bought in July has started to get this popup when trying to view a TV series that up until this week were able to view.

Here is a translation.
Details of the problem and the system configuration
This report will automatically be sent to Apple
Flash player module internet safari a quitte de maniere imprevue
Flash player module internet safari quits unexpectedly

They have a very good Apple shop near by so could take it there, I have just checked my Macbook here Adobe - Flash Player

and have version 10,1,102,64 installed which must have been pre loaded by Apple so would have expected theres to be as well. Is there an easy way to update FP or do you have to uninstall first then reinstall.
Either of these two options I would not have a clue about doing being a newbie myself, so any pointers would be much appreciated so I can pass the info on.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Version 10.1.102.64 is the newest flash player version available, updating their flashplayer is as easy as downloading the newest version here and installing it.
If for some reason want to first uninstall it, delete these files and reboot the system. Then reinstall FP from the same place above.

The files,
Macintosh HD/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Flash\ Player.plugin
Macintosh HD/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/flashplayer.xpt

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

Hi McYukon,

Thank you for your really quick helpful reply, I gave them a link to check there version but maybe it’s corrupted I have no idea. So will pass on your info, sounds easy just to update if necessary or reinstall, thank you again.
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

Hi,

As an update they have now updated Flash Player and all is good, they can view there TV series again.

But I have a question, as a newbie to Mac I was under the impression that when you clicked the Apple on the top left of menu bar then chose software update that this would look at all loaded software and gain any updates respectfully if needed. Does this not cover Flash Player as I know they use this update route at least twice a week?
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Glad it worked
Software update only updates the Apple made software, OS X, iLife, iTunes, .etc.
All software made by other companies even if it is bundled with OS X you have to update on your own.

QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

Hi McYukon,

Thank you again for a quick reply and hints.
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

Hi,

One odd thing is since there FP update they now have its program launch icon in applications > utilities not there prior to the update. Just looked at my utilities folder it is not listed any thoughts as to why.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

Are you sure that it's not the uninstaller?
Mine says "Adobe Flash Player Install Manager" and when I open it it gives me the option to uninstall FP.
Not sure why they have it and you don't though.

QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

Hi,

Thanks again for your reply, I asked and yes it is just the uninstaller, I have not had video viewing issues so never re-downloaded FP and not had a popup from flash requesting an update so maybe this gets installed into the utilities that way, as that is the only thing they have done and as I said this FP file was not in there utilities prior to there updated.
Maybe I will do the same just to see what happens, but motto is if it is not broke don't fix it. Again thanks for your help in fixing there issue.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Did I get a lemon? | Hello from a new switcher! »