New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Saving whilst working in pages

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

windymiller

windymiller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" using Mountain Lion, iphone 4s, ipod nano 1.3.1, ipod touch, iPod Classic, iPad 1

When producing word processing documents using 'pages' I like to 'save' as I'm going along and return and edit as needed.

I'm saving in finder, in folders in documents usually as a Word Document.

I've always in M/S Word, save as > then name > and choose a folder etc. Then as I carry on working press control+s to save as I continue.

When I use 'pages' and do the same thing, though using the cmd+s keys, I'm directed back to an option box where I want to save the document (in the same place would be nice only updated).

I don't want multiple copies of the same document in the finder/folders.

Currently I have in 'pages'>preferences under saving 'Back up previous version when saving' - now unticked.
'Include preview in document by default' - ticked and
'Save new documents as packages' - unticked.

As always thanks in advance for all positive input.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I'm not sure I understand.
When I save a pages doc as a word document, in the same location as you, and then use Command + S to save while am working on the pages doc, it keeps saving to the same document as one would expect.
Are you suggesting that each time you click Command + S you are having new documents created?

By the way, I have my preferences set up like you do.
QUOTE Thanks
windymiller

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" using Mountain Lion, iphone 4s, ipod nano 1.3.1, ipod touch, iPod Classic, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
I'm not sure I understand.
When I save a pages doc as a word document, in the same location as you, and then use Command + S to save while am working on the pages doc, it keeps saving to the same document as one would expect.
Are you suggesting that each time you click Command + S you are having new documents created?

By the way, I have my preferences set up like you do.
Yes exactly that, so I end up with multiple copies of the same document.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Hmmmm ...this is very strange indeed!
All I can think of is that you have corrupt preferences going on there.
There should be a few different pages preferences in user/library/preferences.
I have:
com.apple.iWork.Pages.001b63b388dd.plist
com.apple.iWork.Pages.E980DAC5-6046-57BB-980D-0C238DAD30F9.plist
com.apple.iWork.Pages.LSSharedFileList.plist
com.apple.iWork.Pages.plist

I would move them all to the desktop and launch pages and see if the behaviour stops.
QUOTE Thanks
cliko

cliko is on a distinguished road

Hey, if you are saving the documents as a word file (.doc) then this will happen. If you save them as .pages files then it won't. Hope that helps!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliko View Post
Hey, if you are saving the documents as a word file (.doc) then this will happen. If you save them as .pages files then it won't. Hope that helps!
Actually that's incorrect, and you will see that if you read my first post in this thread!
QUOTE Thanks
cliko

cliko is on a distinguished road

No, I meant if your working with Word documents in Pages, but yeah
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

He's right. Pages is meant to work with Pages documents. You can save copies as Word documents as often as you like, but you'll be exporting a new copy every time.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

technologist is correct. This is one of the shortcomings of Pages and another reason why I refuse to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

This has me baffled now.... when I tested it earlier, it was saving with command + s without opening the dialogue box, and creating another document, where as now, testing it again it is do this.

So, I stand corrected, Cliko, Technologist, and Chscag.

Well, I guess I'll stick with using MS Word.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kane:

Yeah, I wish Pages would do it the "right" way. Lots of things about Pages that I do like, (publishing layout for one) but the save thing is just too much of an annoyance for me to live with.

However, I'm beginning to find some things about Word 2011 that I don't like either....
QUOTE Thanks
6string

I'm still on Office 08, and pretty happy with it, now being used to the layout since updating from 04.
I think I'll stick with it as long as it suits my needs.
I use pages for creating flyers, cards, etc, but all my word processor work has always been using word.
Some habits are hard to break, and often, not worth breaking
QUOTE Thanks
windymiller

So if I save the item as .pages I can just keep cmd+s and I will not get a dialogue box asking me where I want to save a copy?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Yes. As long as you save documents in the native pages format you will not have to specify. It's only when you save in another format, for example - MS Office that it will give you the save as dialog.
QUOTE Thanks
windymiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Yes. As long as you save documents in the native pages format you will not have to specify. It's only when you save in another format, for example - MS Office that it will give you the save as dialog.
What about the option in the pages preferences to 'save new documents as packages', what is this and should I tick or un tick?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp on old Mac hard drive | Is Apple company a sellout? »