New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I get a Blue screen every few minutes.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

Hi guys,
I am experiencing a problem with my G4 Mac Mini and I don't know where I am supposed to ask for help with it so I tossed a coin and you guys won.
This problem happens no matter what is on the screen. It can be a web page or the desktop or any of the Mac applications. It just started doing it half an hour ago. There are no external things plugged into the Mini and it has been restarted.

So what's the problem?

Maybe once every 3 minutes or so the screen goes blue. It is the same colour blue that you get as the Mac fires up. Then, after maybe 3 seconds or so, the screen changes back to how it was before it went Blue.

Any ideas?
Cheers,
5tevie
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

How old is the monitor?

Friendly advice: put a description of your question/issue in your thread title. It's more likely to draw people in with an interest in the topic, and thus perhaps some knowledge to share. Some will just skip over them, as I do when I'm pressed for time.
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Hi there and thanks for the advice. I shall try to do that in future.

As for the age of the monitor, well, it isn't a monitor as such. It's a 52" plasma TV which is about 4 months old. This problem only shows itself when the computer side is running and not when the TV programmes are running.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Sounds like a syncing issue. I'd start by investigating the quality of the connection, and the connector.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

And if you are using a mini VGA connector, start there.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=220394
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Hi guys,
I tried to explain this one earlier but I was told that my title didn't really give a clue to the problem so here it is again.
I have a G4 Mac Mini hooked up to a 52" Plasma screen which has no problems showing excellent pictures via the Sky box which is also wired to the Plasma TV.
The cable from the TV to the Mac Mini is the same cable that ran from the same TV to a desktop Windows PC for two years with not a hint of a problem.
However, that cable does not plug directly into the back of the Mac Mini. It plugs into a little adapter jobbie about 2 inches square which, in turn, is plugged into the Mac Mini.
OK, that basically explains the system so here comes the problem .....

I keep getting a blue screen appearing on the TV that covers the whole screen. It is the same pale blue colour as this box that I am typing into right now (just in case the colour of the screen makes a difference)
This blue screen stays for anything from 3 seconds to 7 seconds and then it just goes away leaving the exact screen that I was on before it appeared. I have found that if I am typing when the blue screen appears my words appear when the screen goes back to normal. I found that out once when I was looking at the keyboard rather than the screen and didn't realise it had turned blue until I finished typing.
This blue screen appears at random times. Sometimes within seconds of starting the machine and sometimes it will stay a Blue screen free zone for 20 minutes before it starts. At other times it will be on-off-on-off for a minute and at other times it will do one blue screen and then be normal for half an hour.
My pet theory is that the little jobbie between the video cable and the Mac Mini is a low quality one. If you agree, could somebody please point me to an eBay auction for a GOOD quality one and not just a low quality one with an inflated price tag. I'm new at this stuff so I wouldn't know the difference myself.
Thanks very much.
Stevie
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What you're describing in my experience is most often the cabling. However, it could also be the video card becoming flaky.

If it were me, I'd probably be looking to replace both the cable and the adapter jobbie and keep my fingers crossed that's the problem.

You haven't given us any clue what type of cable you're using to connect to the TV, so it makes it a little rough to make any recommendation though.

I'll go ahead and make a guess you're using either a HDMI or VGA cable.
Sorry, but I don't do ebay for anything like this.
Here in the US, I use monoprice and Amazon.
There in the UK, I'd probably use Amazon only because I don't know if ya'll have a company like monoprice.

Here's a DVI to HDMI for 4.99 and free super saver shipping. They've got two tons of them if you don't want that one.

Here's a whole slew of DVI to VGA adapter(s) and cable(s) starting at < 1.00

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You haven't given us any clue what type of cable you're using to connect to the TV, so it makes it a little rough to make any recommendation though.
I tried to. Honest injun, I did.
I said that it was the same cable that had connected my Windows PC to the screen. I know I didn't tell you the exact techie details of the cable but that's because I'm a complete thicko who just doesn't know the correct terminology. All I can say is take a look at the cable that runs between a Windows computer and a standard monitor. It is usually the lead that has lots of blue inside the plugs on the ends of the lead.

Anyway, I bought myself a HDMI to DVI lead(or is it the other way around?) so when it arrives chez moi we'll see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tevie View Post
All I can say is take a look at the cable that runs between a Windows computer and a standard monitor. ...
That doesn't help whatsoever. I have used at least 5 diiferent cables for attaching my Windows machines to monitors / TVs. Three of them are still in common use today.

The blue gives a good hint, but I have not used a VGA cable to connect any of my computers in probably 10 years.

You should check here in post #4 and you should be able to figure out what connections you're using.

If you went with the DVI to HDMI cable, you'll put your existing adapter and cable in the cable drawer and you'll be attaching it to one of the HDMI ports instead of the PC port on the TV.

You may want to read post #1 &/or #3 in that link after you get the cable if you can't figure out how to get the sound on your TV with it.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Merged threads.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is that 2" square thing as you call it a the DVI to VGA adapter that apple ships with the Mini? If so it should have 2 recessed Thumb nuts to unscrew it from the mini.

If so, I had one older 1.25 G4 mini where the pins got dirty and the video to my TV would cut off and back on and the TV would display a blue screen. Cleaning the pins and the jack with electronic cleaner took care of it. Not sure if that is your issue, but worth a try.

Try when it turns blue jiggling the adapter up and down a bit and see if the blue screen comes and goes. Can't hurt to try.
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Thanks for the link, bob. I'll save that at read up when the cable gets here.

Thanks also to dtravis. I'll try that. It certainly won't do any harm although now that I have threatened it by buying a new lead the incidences of the blue screen have virtually stopped today.
Oh, and Yes, that 2" thing is the part that came with the Mac Mini to connect my old VGA cable to the port on the back of the Mini and Yes, it has two half submerged thumb wheels.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
5teve
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Hi again,
The DVD to HDMI lead arrived today and I just found time to fit it.
It all seemed to go well except that I can't seem to find a way to make the Firefox Screen fit the TV screen properly. With the old cables I had the resolution set at 1280 x 768 and it was almost perfect.
The same resolution here looks like the image below.
It wouldn't be so bad but there is no option to scroll over to the right, not even using the Magic Mouse.
Any help or suggestions appreciated

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Try other resolutions - I'd start out at 1920 x 1080.

QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Hi Bob.
I have tried all the other resolutions on the list, even 800 x 600 to no avail.
I have managed to get one screen just perfect (eBay chat forum) and wondered if there was a way to make all other pages look like that one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is there a "Start up" folder on a Mac? | Thinking about getting my first Mac »