Thread: Matching RAM

UncSki1218
    Matching RAM
    I plan to update my imac from 512mb ram to 1.5gb ram. I'm going to use apple's instructions so i do everything right. It says in the instructions that "matching" ram will use the 128 bit data path while not matching will use the 64 bit data path. Will this ram match the apple preinstalled ram so i can use the 128 bit data path >> http://www.macconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=463419

P.S. ignore the list of computers it works for

falltime
    Quote Originally Posted by UncSki1218
    I plan to update my imac from 512mb ram to 1.5gb ram. I'm going to use apple's instructions so i do everything right. It says in the instructions that "matching" ram will use the 128 bit data path while not matching will use the 64 bit data path. Will this ram match the apple preinstalled ram so i can use the 128 bit data path >> http://www.macconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=463419

P.S. ignore the list of computers it works for
    The iMacs U3 "Northbridge" will open up a single 128-bit data path for factory-matched pairs, but it doesn't really offer a significant performance improvement, as the iMac isn't truly "Dual-Channel." Several benchmarks have already shown this, so you don't REALLY need to pair your RAM like you do with a PowerMac. It is more economical to purchase a stick separately, as the iMac only has two RAM slots, and you would have to completely toss the originally installed RAM to upgrade to another pair.

If you feel it is absolutely imperative to upgrade in pairs, I recommend using this RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145440
    Corsair is an extremely well respected memory manufacturer, and is 100% compatible with Macs. It is also significantly cheaper than the RAM you linked in your post.

UncSki1218
    ok thanks you ...but whats faster 1gb matched or 1.5 gb unmatched

UncSki1218
    never mind i found 2x1gb matched for about 190....thanks for your help

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
    What does the voltage of RAM effect? The prices at this site for the crucial are better than what I recently purchased and the only difference is the 2.7v of the crucial versus the 2.5v of the brand I purchased (dont remember the name off top of my head)

Alright, after a quick websearch it appears the smaller the amount of volts the cooler the RAM runs.

SomaGaze
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin_aa
    What does the voltage of RAM effect? The prices at this site for the crucial are better than what I recently purchased and the only difference is the 2.7v of the crucial versus the 2.5v of the brand I purchased (dont remember the name off top of my head)

Alright, after a quick websearch it appears the smaller the amount of volts the cooler the RAM runs.
    its also good info if you plan to overclock...

there's no need for that on macs i bet...

eulen76
    Question re: memory upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by falltime
    The iMacs U3 "Northbridge" will open up a single 128-bit data path for factory-matched pairs, but it doesn't really offer a significant performance improvement, as the iMac isn't truly "Dual-Channel." Several benchmarks have already shown this, so you don't REALLY need to pair your RAM like you do with a PowerMac. It is more economical to purchase a stick separately, as the iMac only has two RAM slots, and you would have to completely toss the originally installed RAM to upgrade to another pair.

If you feel it is absolutely imperative to upgrade in pairs, I recommend using this RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145440
    Corsair is an extremely well respected memory manufacturer, and is 100% compatible with Macs. It is also significantly cheaper than the RAM you linked in your post.
    I just received some memory from my dad for my iMac G5 2.0 GHZ 17" He purchased memory from this link

http://www.memorygiant.com/index.cfm...mory_id=-36474

You mention that there isn't a significant reason to match the memory. I was actually curious about the answer to the question, "which is faster, matched 1Gig or unmatched 1.5 gig."

Also, if I wanted to upgrade later to 2 Gigs would that be a problem? Should I just upgrade to 2Gigs now?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for any information you can give me.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"
    Quote Originally Posted by UncSki1218
    never mind i found 2x1gb matched for about 190....thanks for your help
    If you take another look at the NewEgg link you will find that two gigs of the Corsair are only $180....cheaper... and I recommend this ram in any Mac that uses PC3200 ram. I have 2 gigs of it in my PowerMac and 1 gig of it in my iMac. Works great.

NewEgg also has a good buy for those who use the ddr2 ram that the newer Macs now use...
    Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - Quad Core - 16 Gigs Ram - 10.11.2 - 30" Apple Monitor
    iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro

Thread Information