New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Paper 2 virus?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Leslie0120

Leslie0120 is on a distinguished road

I just installed virus protection and it says I have an infected Paper 2.pdf file that I cannot delete from my trash. Anyone know what is going on or how I get rid of it?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

You do not have a virus that can harm your Mac, as none exist. If it is a real virus, it could be passed on to a Windows user.

What "virus protection" do you have installed? Since there is not a single virus that can infect your Mac, you don't need anti-virus software to protect it. Most Mac users do not have any AV software. Some will say that the AV SW can protect you against other malware, such as trojans or spyware, but if you're careful (don't do dangerous things) it's not needed for that either.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

You probably don't have a virus as there are none in the wild which infect OS X. Which AV program did you install? Reboot and try to delete the file again. Also, did you open the PDF file and read what's in it?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

It could also be a Windows virus

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

If you bought Norton, save yourself from the headaches. Just do it.

 MB White Uni l'09 - OS X 10.9
 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 5th gen iPod touch - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
Leslie0120

I installed BitDefender. It took three hours to run the first scan which told me I have several trojans, etc going on. Blew my mind. I have had my mac for about 5 yrs and just recently started to get paranoid. So...it says it is an Exploit pdf. I have restored my permissions..nothing..still can't delete. When I try to empty my trash it says...I do not have sufficient privileges to delete??? Really??? Everything else is gone that was a threat...just not this stupid pdf..
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
It could also be a Windows virus
That's a good point. It certainly can be an infected PDF file with a Windows virus which of course does not have any effect on your Mac.

@Leslie0120

Did you try to open the PDF file and see what it contains? Also, you might try doing a "Secure Empty Trash" from the Finder. Let us know if that works.
QUOTE Thanks
Leslie0120

ok..you guys left me. Come back! Anything I can do, should I not worry? blah blah blah
QUOTE Thanks
Leslie0120

Thanks chscag! I did try a secure empty several times. Turns out the file is a paper my son wrote on his PC (with no protection) and sent it to my mac to print out. Could there be a virus attached to it?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Yes, there certainly can be some sort of a Windows virus or malware that's associated with that particular PDF file.

Let's try the "Force Empty Trash" program. It's free.

Let us know if that works.
QUOTE Thanks
Leslie0120

Great...doing it now...thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Leslie0120

Can't get it to run...grrrrrrr
QUOTE Thanks
Leslie0120

Tells me no such file or directory
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

A reboot may clear the trash and suggest your son dowlnoads and runs Microsoft Security Essentials for his PC. It is free, not a resources hog and unlike many , updates simply and quickly.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

And Paper2 is not a virus but a PDF type program. He must have downloaded this and put it on his computer:-

http://www.topshareware.com/Paper-2-...nload-7260.htm
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help for partitioning external drive for Time Machine and PC use | moving from IE8 to safari 5 »