New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

PB G4 1.5ghz as a desktop replacement?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

j4kovzky

i am getting this pb (coming soon)to replace a desktop pc and portability, if i need to be mobile. my question is, should i leave the battery in it while plugged in the ac charger all the time when used as a desktop? or do i take the battery out. im aware the battery needs calibration too ( i heard about it) but doesnt know exactly how to do it properly. thanks alot.
QUOTE Thanks
crg23

crg23 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" PB G4

to calibrate it, just empty out the battery all the way, charge it, and then lose all the charge the first time you use it. then you can charge it whenever you want.
QUOTE Thanks
Morrigan

Can you use the power while the battery is not in? I thought it simply had to be in.
QUOTE Thanks
Tel

It will work with the battery removed as long as its plugged in, but you can just leave the battery in. Once the battery has a full charge, the Powerbook will draw its power from the mains and bypass the battery. Just drain the battery once a month or so to keep it in good condition.
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

This is how I use my 12" pb...it's the current combo drive model.

Since I'm not currently at school, my pb sits plugged into the wall adapter without the battery plugged in. It fully functions as my desktop, with the help of a Dell 19" monitor of course

Keeps my battery cycles down too, my pb battery only has 4 cycles on it.
QUOTE Thanks
gfk9000

I did the same thing. I bought my powerbook just because I need a laptop. It has now replaced my pc desktop. My pc is still fast P4 3.4ghz 1.5 gig ram 2x250 sata drive. I have not really touched my pc since I bought my powerbook.
QUOTE Thanks
j4kovzky

i'm replacing an athlon xp 3200, 1.5gig ram with a sata hdd. when i was at gradeschool i remember playing Chirvalry and Lode RUnner using an apple computer, but that was a very long time ago. and that was my very, very first computer.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianH

My PB, 12 inch with superdrive replaced my PC. I have only turned my PC on to transfer filves via USB flash drive. I leave it plugged in all the time, and the battery has a full charge (not that it matters).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« $100 off instantly, is this good deal? | My first Mac converts! »