New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Microsoft Office vs. Open Office

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

UncSki1218

OK...i got my new mac. But, i didn't want to spend another 200 on office. I looked around online and found a great freeware suite called open office. It has programs almost identical to word, excel and powerpoint. Just one question for anyone who uses open office. If i make a spreadsheet or powerpoint in open office, could i edit it in microsoft office? ( i am not concerned about written files since i can just save them as .txt files.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncSki1218
OK...i got my new mac. But, i didn't want to spend another 200 on office. I looked around online and found a great freeware suite called open office. It has programs almost identical to word, excel and powerpoint. Just one question for anyone who uses open office. If i make a spreadsheet or powerpoint in open office, could i edit it in microsoft office? ( i am not concerned about written files since i can just save them as .txt files.
OpenOffice can save .doc/.xls/.ppt formatted files that are used by Microsoft Office. There should be a popup menu in the "Save/Save As" dialog to choose a format.

Compatibility is not 100%, though. Sometimes presentation graphics won't line up, text sizes change, outlines get different bullet points or numbers, tables lose or gain cells. Most of the time things look fine; the fancier the document, the more likely things will look different. If you're sending stuff to yourself, you probably won't care, but if you're sending files to your boss/professor/client, you might get screwed.
QUOTE Thanks
UncSki1218

Thanks..that'll be fine...it just for working on two of my computers.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

I use the NeoOffice/J version of Open Office. it doesn't need X11, uses system fonts, doesn't close when the last window is closed, all in all acts like a normal Mac program.
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/download.php
Best.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
Littleweseth

heheh - my (crappy) iMac seems to choke on NeoOffice/J - takes about a minute to start up, and when i tried to paste a large (think along the 1MB line) chunk of text into it, it turned into a pieca crap. At least Word X actually let me scroll still......
At least NeoOffice/J is faster than Office 2004. 2004 has issues with *blank* documents

(also allow me to say that OOo Math kicks the shicksers out of Equation Editor and even MathType (MathMagic is still teh sheet though) - though i strongly object to the use of comic sans on the buttons. Aerrgh! Problably redone in the 2.0beta branch?)

(i'm referring to my crappy G3 400MHz iMac. You have a 2.0GHz G4. The difference shouldn't be noticeable for you )
QUOTE Thanks
Acill

Acill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2

Abiword is another good free office app.
QUOTE Thanks
Ex_PC_Puke

Another vote for the NeoOffice version of open office --- so far total compatibility with XP versions of Word - Excel - Powerpoint --- I'm even using NeoOFfice for a web based CS 120 class (Comp Science) and using Neo to create Word docs that I send to the instructor -- no problems !!

As a laughable (and sad) side note - I did pop $150 (student discount) for MS Office for the mac just to be sure I could do this class ---- when I save the files from MS Office in "compatible" format ---- I can't view / open then on our XP system ---- pathetic
QUOTE Thanks
UncSki1218

Ok some more questions. Which works more like a mac program...Neo Office/J or Open Office X11? Has anyone tried both...what are the differences? Does one have more features?
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

Appleworks also will open and save DOC and XLS files pretty well.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

NeoOffice/J works more like a Mac program. It stays open when closing the last window, uses system fonts and is generally better / easier to set up & use
Yes I have tried both on my Mac and have Open Office on the XP too. :-)
Just made sure I had the same fonts installed on XP & Mac so I can swop spreadsheets etc around without a problem.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
Ex_PC_Puke

NeoOffice is modeled around the mac interface ----- to be honest when I heard that I could get a free - open source application that was the equivilant of a $250 MS Office package ---- I was skeptical (esp. since I came from the PC world).

But its true - NeoOffice rocks and works great ---- I even went back to their site and made a $20 donation to the cause via my Paypal account. :p
QUOTE Thanks
madore

madore is on a distinguished road

Besides neooffice, openoffice, and abiword, do you guys know any other free mac-native office apps? I'm using an older OS X...
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

always can go for the student and teacher edition for Office2008. Bestbuy sometimes puts out rebates for it.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by madore View Post
Besides neooffice, openoffice, and abiword, do you guys know any other free mac-native office apps? I'm using an older OS X...
Bean is a decent little word processor, and it's free and OS X native.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
madore

madore is on a distinguished road

Bean looks awesome. Thanks.

I upgraded to 10.4.11 and have been able to use all the modern software I couldn't before, so I'm satisfied.

I love Mac.

Never thought I'd say that, no lie.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I shut down am iMac with OSX & XP | **keyborad help please »