Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Microsoft Office vs. Open Office (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/21855-microsoft-office-vs-open-office.html)

UncSki1218 07-24-2005 09:18 PM

Microsoft Office vs. Open Office

OK...i got my new mac. But, i didn't want to spend another 200 on office. I looked around online and found a great freeware suite called open office. It has programs almost identical to word, excel and powerpoint. Just one question for anyone who uses open office. If i make a spreadsheet or powerpoint in open office, could i edit it in microsoft office? ( i am not concerned about written files since i can just save them as .txt files.

technologist 07-24-2005 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncSki1218
OK...i got my new mac. But, i didn't want to spend another 200 on office. I looked around online and found a great freeware suite called open office. It has programs almost identical to word, excel and powerpoint. Just one question for anyone who uses open office. If i make a spreadsheet or powerpoint in open office, could i edit it in microsoft office? ( i am not concerned about written files since i can just save them as .txt files.

OpenOffice can save .doc/.xls/.ppt formatted files that are used by Microsoft Office. There should be a popup menu in the "Save/Save As" dialog to choose a format.

Compatibility is not 100%, though. Sometimes presentation graphics won't line up, text sizes change, outlines get different bullet points or numbers, tables lose or gain cells. Most of the time things look fine; the fancier the document, the more likely things will look different. If you're sending stuff to yourself, you probably won't care, but if you're sending files to your boss/professor/client, you might get screwed.

UncSki1218 07-24-2005 09:31 PM

Thanks..that'll be fine...it just for working on two of my computers.

torchy 07-25-2005 01:21 AM

I use the NeoOffice/J version of Open Office. it doesn't need X11, uses system fonts, doesn't close when the last window is closed, all in all acts like a normal Mac program.
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/download.php
Best.

Littleweseth 07-25-2005 02:25 AM

heheh - my (crappy) iMac seems to choke on NeoOffice/J - takes about a minute to start up, and when i tried to paste a large (think along the 1MB line) chunk of text into it, it turned into a pieca crap. At least Word X actually let me scroll still......
At least NeoOffice/J is faster than Office 2004. 2004 has issues with *blank* documents :D

(also allow me to say that OOo Math kicks the shicksers out of Equation Editor and even MathType (MathMagic is still teh sheet though) - though i strongly object to the use of comic sans on the buttons. Aerrgh! Problably redone in the 2.0beta branch?)

(i'm referring to my crappy G3 400MHz iMac. You have a 2.0GHz G4. The difference shouldn't be noticeable for you :D)

Acill 07-25-2005 07:30 AM

Abiword is another good free office app.

Ex_PC_Puke 07-25-2005 01:14 PM

Another vote for the NeoOffice version of open office --- so far total compatibility with XP versions of Word - Excel - Powerpoint --- I'm even using NeoOFfice for a web based CS 120 class (Comp Science) and using Neo to create Word docs that I send to the instructor -- no problems !!

As a laughable (and sad) side note - I did pop $150 (student discount) for MS Office for the mac just to be sure I could do this class ---- when I save the files from MS Office in "compatible" format ---- I can't view / open then on our XP system ---- pathetic

UncSki1218 07-25-2005 02:29 PM

Ok some more questions. Which works more like a mac program...Neo Office/J or Open Office X11? Has anyone tried both...what are the differences? Does one have more features?

badmojo 07-25-2005 02:40 PM

Appleworks also will open and save DOC and XLS files pretty well.

torchy 07-25-2005 06:08 PM

NeoOffice/J works more like a Mac program. It stays open when closing the last window, uses system fonts and is generally better / easier to set up & use
Yes I have tried both on my Mac and have Open Office on the XP too. :-)
Just made sure I had the same fonts installed on XP & Mac so I can swop spreadsheets etc around without a problem.

Ex_PC_Puke 07-26-2005 01:30 PM

NeoOffice is modeled around the mac interface ----- to be honest when I heard that I could get a free - open source application that was the equivilant of a $250 MS Office package ---- I was skeptical (esp. since I came from the PC world).

But its true - NeoOffice rocks and works great ---- I even went back to their site and made a $20 donation to the cause via my Paypal account. :p

madore 10-22-2008 08:36 PM

Besides neooffice, openoffice, and abiword, do you guys know any other free mac-native office apps? I'm using an older OS X...

maz94protege 10-23-2008 09:45 PM

always can go for the student and teacher edition for Office2008. Bestbuy sometimes puts out rebates for it.

cwa107 10-23-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madore (Post 744904)
Besides neooffice, openoffice, and abiword, do you guys know any other free mac-native office apps? I'm using an older OS X...

Bean is a decent little word processor, and it's free and OS X native.

madore 10-26-2008 02:41 PM

Bean looks awesome. Thanks.

I upgraded to 10.4.11 and have been able to use all the modern software I couldn't before, so I'm satisfied.

I love Mac.

Never thought I'd say that, no lie.