New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

transfering directly pc to powerbook via firewire...possible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wrightm

wrightm is an unknown at this point

Hello,
I thought that I read somewhere that you can transfer files and connect any computers via a firewire port.
I have loads of data on my desktop PC that I need to transfer to my new powerbook 12".
The PC does not have a firewire card, but I thought that I might buy one and install the card in the PC if I can transfer it that way.
From what I understood, when 2 computers are connected via firewire (be it PC's or Mac) that the other computer would show up as a drive or folder in the desktop of the other, and you can simply transfer in that manner.
Is this true? Is it that simple?
Also along those lines....I need to get a card reader for my powerbook; should I get a USB 2.0 reader or Firewire? Which is faster? And I couldn't find any firewire card readers anyway. I found that odd.
Thanks for the help again.
QUOTE Thanks
UncSki1218

It could be possible. Most likely you will see the pc show up on the mac but not vice versa. Unless you will continue to use your pc constantly the firewire card is a waste. You could use an ipod, external hard drive, wireless network, or a zip disk. All of those could be used in the future for other things too.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Well, you can't boot a PC into target disk mode (no support for it on a PC BIOS)...

...and if you booted the Mac in target disk mode, the PC wouldn't be able to mount the HFS hard drive without third-party software.
QUOTE Thanks
Dylan

MacDrive is a program for Windows that would allow you to access the Mac in target disk mode. But I'd just do it over the network.
QUOTE Thanks
chouk

chouk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3

Apparently there should be usb or firewire to transfer from pc to mac. But it's expensive.
I can't find them either too. I only saw pc 2 pc or mac 2 mac.
I just use the lan cable or cross cable. It works just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
crg23

crg23 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" PB G4

I need this too.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouk
Apparently there should be usb or firewire to transfer from pc to mac. But it's expensive.
I can't find them either too. I only saw pc 2 pc or mac 2 mac.
I just use the lan cable or cross cable. It works just fine.
Im guessing you are talking about an ethernet cable since that is basically what a crossover cable is. Do you just plug the cable into both machines and wait for it to pop up as a drive and transfer? Ive been wanting to transfer some stuff from my xp machine to my powerbook, and for some reason I cant ever get them to connect to each other on the wireless network again. I got them to connect once, but never again.

If I cant use the cables, I usually just burn stuff on a dvd-rw and transfer it that way. Its slow and painfull, but it works.
QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

BTW there are firewire card readers on the market, though they are very expensive. I wouldn't get one unless U are a photographer as your job. USB 2.0 works fine.(Never buy anything USB 1.1 as it is very slow 12mbps compared to USB2's 480MBPS)

Report offensive posts
Don't forget to use the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
chouk

chouk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRockTuba
Do you just plug the cable into both machines and wait for it to pop up as a drive and transfer? .
Yeah...i only use one ethernet cable and connect both pc and mac. It takes some time for my pc drive to mount on my ibook, but the sharing works.
There are tutorials on the net, and here is mine.
http://www.chouk.co.uk/macsharing
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I think macopener or macopener has a demo that would let you access your mac from the pc using target firewire mode..
QUOTE Thanks
daniel-osx

daniel-osx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G3 (Dual USB)-500Mhz,320 MB, OSX10.4.7

My iBook is missing the wireless card so I connect it directly to my HP laptop and share the wireless connection on the HP. Once I do that, then any comp on my network can see the shared folders on the Mac with no problem. Just type in the mac's name located in the system preferences/sharing panel. Make sure you have windows sharing enabled.
QUOTE Thanks
PhoenixIgnition

PhoenixIgnition is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2.00 GHz

I'm transferring files right now from my PC via my network. Not too shabby...14.5 gb in 25 minutes.

EDIT: Here's the link on how to do this http://www.apple.com/macosx/switch/howto/network.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Noobie with Mac v.videoediting | Para. on External HDD?? »