dabro
    Using External Drive w/ Windows
    I'm a very happy mac convert but I still work in a windows workplace. My question is I need to transfer large .mov files to a windows workstation. I want to use an external hard drive to just carry it to the pc and transfer files. What does the external drive need to be formatted in to be written to by the mac and read by the pc? Is this doable? I assume that a .mov file is the same to a mac and a pc, is this correct? I know a .psd(photoshop) file created on either machine can be opened by either. Any recommendations on external drives would also be appreciated. Thanks for the help, Dave

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"
    Quote Originally Posted by dabro
    I'm a very happy mac convert but I still work in a windows workplace. My question is I need to transfer large .mov files to a windows workstation. I want to use an external hard drive to just carry it to the pc and transfer files. What does the external drive need to be formatted in to be written to by the mac and read by the pc? Is this doable? I assume that a .mov file is the same to a mac and a pc, is this correct? I know a .psd(photoshop) file created on either machine can be opened by either. Any recommendations on external drives would also be appreciated. Thanks for the help, Dave
    If you want the drive to be both written to and read by both the Mac and the pc format the drive in FAT32. Both systems can use this format. If the majority of your usage is in Mac and you would like the advantages of the Mac format then format the drive in the Mac format and use on the pc the program Mac Drive. This program allows the pc to both read and write to a Mac formatted drive. Works just fine, i have used it for quite a while now.

As for the drive itself, i recommend checking out one of the LaCie drives. I have one and it works just great with both the pc and Mac.
    Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - Quad Core - 16 Gigs Ram - 10.11.2 - 30" Apple Monitor
    iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro

UncSki1218
    I was wondering the same thing. What are the mac advantages that i'll miss if its formatted in fat32.

Specs:
    Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
    I believe FAT32 does impose a 4gig limit on file sizes.
    "If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg

UncSki1218
    aha..thanks , i dont think thats a problem...its mostly for transfering songs, pictures, movies, school work etc.

Thread Information