Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Aug 11, 2010
    Posts
    23
    I understand Lion is coming out. End of updates for Snow Leopard?
    I have Snow Leopard on my Macbook. I understand the new OS coming out will be Lion. If I want Lion I will have to pay for it obviously, but money is tight now and I don't know if that will change when Lion comes out. If I can't afford Lion and decide to stick with Snow Leopard, will there no longer be software updates to download?

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2009
    Location
    Ithaca NY
    Posts
    2,073
    Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    Not even close. Lion won't be out until probably August 2011. 10.6.5 is seeded to developers right now and nearing release candidate state. Many more updates to come, and probably one or two points after Lion drops as well.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jan 17, 2010
    Posts
    1,466
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
    There really is no need to worry about whether there will be anymore major updates when Lion comes out. Unless you are having problems currently with Snow Leopard then is there really a need to worry about Snow Leopard updates? Apple will still provide security updates for awhile after a new OS comes out or if there are any major flaws that turns up.

  4. #4

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,963
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    They are still updating 10.5 Leopard leave alone 10.6 Snow Leopard. Some are worried that when 10.7 comes out next summer updates for 10.5 which is the last version that works on Power PC Macs will not be updated. Time will tell on that one.

    So no worry. When 10.7 finally comes out there will be maybe 2 years of updates for 10.6 SL.

  5. #5

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,381
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPU View Post
    If I want Lion I will have to pay for it obviously, but money is tight now and I don't know if that will change when Lion comes out. If I can't afford Lion and decide to stick with Snow Leopard, will there no longer be software updates to download?
    There's also no rush to update to 10.7 "Lion". We don't even know what all of the new features or improvements there will be in 10.7. It's quite possible that for some folks...the new features & improvements will not be worth it to "rush" into the upgrade.

    I'm positive that you could easily continue to run 10.6 Snow Leopard for another 2-3 years no problem...and by then...the money issues will be a thing of the past!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  6. #6

    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    22,255
    Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    And when OS X.7 is released, don't rush in. If Tiger OS X.4, Leopard OS X.5 and Snow Leopard OS X.6 are anything to go by, wait until update OS X.7.3 becomes available before purchasing. That way most of the bugs will be ironed out.

  7. #7

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,782
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    It's quite possible that for some folks...the new features & improvements will not be worth it to "rush" into the upgrade.
    I think that may be why many people are staying with Leopard. That and PPC support.

    Lion is quite a ways out and even when it does come out, it'll be a while until SL is phased out.

    Quote Originally Posted by LPPU View Post
    If I want Lion I will have to pay for it obviously, but money is tight now and I don't know if that will change when Lion comes out. If I can't afford Lion and decide to stick with Snow Leopard, will there no longer be software updates to download?
    Let's use Leopard as a standard for cost (SL was likely an exception in pricing IMHO). Leopard was $129 when it came out. Let's also say that Lion comes out July 15th ("middle of summer", arbitrary date). July 15th is 196 days into the year and there are 69 days left for a total of 265 days until my made up release date. If that's the case, you only need to put aside 49/day (give or take, not including taxes).
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  8. #8

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Apple have really been driving down software costs - the new iLife is $49, which is an utter bargain. I paid $79 for my first ever iLife upgrade ('08). So the Snow Leopard pricing may continue, who knows.

    As others have said, Lion is at least 10 months away, perhaps even as late as September next year. I also have the feeling it may drop more than just PPC - I think it will drop 32-bit Intels AND Intel GPUs and need a minimum of a 9400m to run.

    That would probably mean Leopard and SL are supported for at least another 3 or 4 years each.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


  9. #9

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,782
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    I also have the feeling it may drop more than just PPC...
    That's already been done with SL.

    I agree with the software prices. My post was a "worst case."
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Sep 27, 2010
    Posts
    31
    They will probably still have a few security/compatibility updates, but probably no new features. But Snow Leopard will continue to get feature updates probably within a month or two of Lion's release. In fact, Windows 2000 is still getting regular security patches. Not that that is a good comparison...

  11. #11

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,782
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by infiniteloop12 View Post
    In fact, Windows 2000 is still getting regular security patches. Not that that is a good comparison...
    No it isn't. Extended support ended over three months ago (see here).
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4
    Specs:
    3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz RAM OS X Snow Leopard
    I am very excited for OS X Lion to come out next Summer! It has some pretty neat features I'm really interested in.

    But to answer your question I'm sure Apple will release more minor updates for Snow Leopard. But if anything, they will be updates for either performance and security... new features aren't likely!
    Felix

  13. #13

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    That's already been done with SL.
    er... I know that

    The point is, if Leopard isn't supported, then PPC is effectively unsupported, regardless of SL's fate - I think the short-lived Core Duos will be for the chop next... there are probably more active PPC Macs out there right now than 32-bit Intel machines.

    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    No it isn't. Extended support ended over three months ago (see here).
    To be fair, more than 10 years of support is pretty impressive.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


  14. #14


    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    20,911
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    So far, Apple have given no indication that they will drop support for Core Duo or Core Solo machines. I'm not saying they won't, I'm saying there's no sign of that at this point and I don't think those machines are quite old enough for the chop just yet (opinion).

    There's also no technical reason for Apple to drop support for any model based solely on video card/video chipset, as the OS doesn't really require much firepower in this regard, so I doubt that GMA machines will be unsupported either. They obviously won't perform as well, and future Apple *retail* software will probably drop support for such machines, but there's no technical reason for these chipsets to be unsupported in the OS until Apple moves to an entirely new graphics engine/goes 3D like Avatar.

  15. #15

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    So far, Apple have given no indication that they will drop support for Core Duo or Core Solo machines. I'm not saying they won't, I'm saying there's no sign of that at this point and I don't think those machines are quite old enough for the chop just yet (opinion).

    There's also no technical reason for Apple to drop support for any model based solely on video card/video chipset, as the OS doesn't really require much firepower in this regard, so I doubt that GMA machines will be unsupported either. They obviously won't perform as well, and future Apple *retail* software will probably drop support for such machines, but there's no technical reason for these chipsets to be unsupported in the OS until Apple moves to an entirely new graphics engine/goes 3D like Avatar.
    You may be right, but you also need to look at where OpenGL and GPGPU is going... Apple has been very aggressive at taking sudden paradigm shifts and killing off anything outmoded. GPGPU processing is the next big leap for desktop operating systems. Anything without CUDA, is useless.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Snow Leopard updates
    By cradom in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 08:02 AM
  2. snow leopard end of life, and support?
    By macgig in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-11-2014, 03:49 PM
  3. Upgrading to Mountain Lion, downgrading lion & snow leopard?
    By budcarl in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 12:38 AM
  4. Snow Leopard end of september?
    By god0fgod in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-08-2009, 05:45 PM
  5. Snow Leopard coming in Q1 2009?
    By livinitup1 in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 08:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •