New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I understand Lion is coming out. End of updates for Snow Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LPPU

LPPU is on a distinguished road

I have Snow Leopard on my Macbook. I understand the new OS coming out will be Lion. If I want Lion I will have to pay for it obviously, but money is tight now and I don't know if that will change when Lion comes out. If I can't afford Lion and decide to stick with Snow Leopard, will there no longer be software updates to download?
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Not even close. Lion won't be out until probably August 2011. 10.6.5 is seeded to developers right now and nearing release candidate state. Many more updates to come, and probably one or two points after Lion drops as well.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

There really is no need to worry about whether there will be anymore major updates when Lion comes out. Unless you are having problems currently with Snow Leopard then is there really a need to worry about Snow Leopard updates? Apple will still provide security updates for awhile after a new OS comes out or if there are any major flaws that turns up.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

They are still updating 10.5 Leopard leave alone 10.6 Snow Leopard. Some are worried that when 10.7 comes out next summer updates for 10.5 which is the last version that works on Power PC Macs will not be updated. Time will tell on that one.

So no worry. When 10.7 finally comes out there will be maybe 2 years of updates for 10.6 SL.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPPU View Post
If I want Lion I will have to pay for it obviously, but money is tight now and I don't know if that will change when Lion comes out. If I can't afford Lion and decide to stick with Snow Leopard, will there no longer be software updates to download?
There's also no rush to update to 10.7 "Lion". We don't even know what all of the new features or improvements there will be in 10.7. It's quite possible that for some folks...the new features & improvements will not be worth it to "rush" into the upgrade.

I'm positive that you could easily continue to run 10.6 Snow Leopard for another 2-3 years no problem...and by then...the money issues will be a thing of the past!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And when OS X.7 is released, don't rush in. If Tiger OS X.4, Leopard OS X.5 and Snow Leopard OS X.6 are anything to go by, wait until update OS X.7.3 becomes available before purchasing. That way most of the bugs will be ironed out.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
It's quite possible that for some folks...the new features & improvements will not be worth it to "rush" into the upgrade.
I think that may be why many people are staying with Leopard. That and PPC support.

Lion is quite a ways out and even when it does come out, it'll be a while until SL is phased out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPPU View Post
If I want Lion I will have to pay for it obviously, but money is tight now and I don't know if that will change when Lion comes out. If I can't afford Lion and decide to stick with Snow Leopard, will there no longer be software updates to download?
Let's use Leopard as a standard for cost (SL was likely an exception in pricing IMHO). Leopard was $129 when it came out. Let's also say that Lion comes out July 15th ("middle of summer", arbitrary date). July 15th is 196 days into the year and there are 69 days left for a total of 265 days until my made up release date. If that's the case, you only need to put aside 49/day (give or take, not including taxes).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Apple have really been driving down software costs - the new iLife is $49, which is an utter bargain. I paid $79 for my first ever iLife upgrade ('08). So the Snow Leopard pricing may continue, who knows.

As others have said, Lion is at least 10 months away, perhaps even as late as September next year. I also have the feeling it may drop more than just PPC - I think it will drop 32-bit Intels AND Intel GPUs and need a minimum of a 9400m to run.

That would probably mean Leopard and SL are supported for at least another 3 or 4 years each.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
I also have the feeling it may drop more than just PPC...
That's already been done with SL.

I agree with the software prices. My post was a "worst case."

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
infiniteloop12

infiniteloop12 is on a distinguished road

They will probably still have a few security/compatibility updates, but probably no new features. But Snow Leopard will continue to get feature updates probably within a month or two of Lion's release. In fact, Windows 2000 is still getting regular security patches. Not that that is a good comparison...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteloop12 View Post
In fact, Windows 2000 is still getting regular security patches. Not that that is a good comparison...
No it isn't. Extended support ended over three months ago (see here).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ifelix

ifelix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz RAM OS X Snow Leopard

I am very excited for OS X Lion to come out next Summer! It has some pretty neat features I'm really interested in.

But to answer your question I'm sure Apple will release more minor updates for Snow Leopard. But if anything, they will be updates for either performance and security... new features aren't likely!

Felix
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
That's already been done with SL.
er... I know that

The point is, if Leopard isn't supported, then PPC is effectively unsupported, regardless of SL's fate - I think the short-lived Core Duos will be for the chop next... there are probably more active PPC Macs out there right now than 32-bit Intel machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
No it isn't. Extended support ended over three months ago (see here).
To be fair, more than 10 years of support is pretty impressive.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

So far, Apple have given no indication that they will drop support for Core Duo or Core Solo machines. I'm not saying they won't, I'm saying there's no sign of that at this point and I don't think those machines are quite old enough for the chop just yet (opinion).

There's also no technical reason for Apple to drop support for any model based solely on video card/video chipset, as the OS doesn't really require much firepower in this regard, so I doubt that GMA machines will be unsupported either. They obviously won't perform as well, and future Apple *retail* software will probably drop support for such machines, but there's no technical reason for these chipsets to be unsupported in the OS until Apple moves to an entirely new graphics engine/goes 3D like Avatar.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
So far, Apple have given no indication that they will drop support for Core Duo or Core Solo machines. I'm not saying they won't, I'm saying there's no sign of that at this point and I don't think those machines are quite old enough for the chop just yet (opinion).

There's also no technical reason for Apple to drop support for any model based solely on video card/video chipset, as the OS doesn't really require much firepower in this regard, so I doubt that GMA machines will be unsupported either. They obviously won't perform as well, and future Apple *retail* software will probably drop support for such machines, but there's no technical reason for these chipsets to be unsupported in the OS until Apple moves to an entirely new graphics engine/goes 3D like Avatar.
You may be right, but you also need to look at where OpenGL and GPGPU is going... Apple has been very aggressive at taking sudden paradigm shifts and killing off anything outmoded. GPGPU processing is the next big leap for desktop operating systems. Anything without CUDA, is useless.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cookies Question | Loss of Magicjack dial tone »