New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Windows BAD, OSX, GOOD. Making a movie for nonconvinced parent

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MadSkillzMan

MadSkillzMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual G5 powermac

ok, so my gfs computer is dead, and we wer all setup to get her a mini. Only her genius mother thinks the Celeron 300$ from dell is better...HAH.

Im TIRED of fixing windows PCs. my gf loves the mac, her mom is tyring to steal my G3 wallstreet running OS9..she doesnt beleive my gf when she tells her the stuff ive told her...so shes jokingly "you should make a movie about it, edit it on your mac and show her" well im bored enough, and ive got enugh friends who run windows and linux, who HATE windows...so theyd be able to provide input.

Im talking, questions and answer interveiws (just simple humor) bar graphs of speed, how often we reinstall osx vs XP, spyware, upgrading, how long it lasts, heat...the BSOD, all kinds of stuff

Id like to get a list going. Thanks in advance!

new vid 8/8/05
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

right so what exactly do you want from us?

answers to those questions?
QUOTE Thanks
falltime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSkillzMan
ok, so my gfs computer is dead, and we wer all setup to get her a mini. Only her genius mother thinks the Celeron 300$ from dell is better...HAH.

Im TIRED of fixing windows PCs. my gf loves the mac, her mom is tyring to steal my G3 wallstreet running OS9..she doesnt beleive my gf when she tells her the stuff ive told her...so shes jokingly "you should make a movie about it, edit it on your mac and show her" well im bored enough, and ive got enugh friends who run windows and linux, who HATE windows...so theyd be able to provide input.

Im talking, questions and answer interveiws (just simple humor) bar graphs of speed, how often we reinstall osx vs XP, spyware, upgrading, how long it lasts, heat...the BSOD, all kinds of stuff

If someone prefers XP, let him or her use XP, it's not any worse than OS X.

All it really comes down to is what platform a person likes to use. There is no war. There is no debate. You'd be just as well off arguing about what tastes better - asparagus or broccoli.

Don't get me wrong. People like to TRY to debate, but they just end up arguing in circles, and it turns into a circus.

P.S. In my 4 years of using XP, I have never, ever had a "Blue Screen of Death" on my own computer... and I've only seen one - which was induced by the installation of an modded unsigned video card driver.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Just tell your g/f to get what she thinks is best, not her mom.

Get some Walt Mossberg quotes on how great OS X is and show them to her...
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Show her Mom just how clean & easy a Mac is to use, my elderly neighbour (pushing 70) has just switched to Mac after many years on Windows. It only took a couple of afternoons of her playing with & using my Mac. I was also tired of cleaning rubbish off her XP.:-)
By the sound of it Mom already likes the Mac and is having you on but cost may well be a factor.
Best.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

Look at all the software you get from Apple. To put all that into a $300 Dell would cost well over the differece. Check Mac World's June issue. They did the very comparison you're look for.
QUOTE Thanks
MadSkillzMan

thats what imlooking for, software. Yea things are apparent to me, ive fought with windows for years, but id like to just broaden my opinions

I got a friend who after he installed SP1, his network was no longer usable. The other friend who spent 1500$ on a dell, didnt even have PCI-E or AGP, you get like no software with windows

theres just so much that aggervated me and drove me to mac. I just cant remember lol. My brothers having a million problems in the next room. Nvidia card only displays 16 colors in videos, PC crashes when media player opens. You have all those darn drivers to worry about.

on the flipside, i havent even noticed my video card is only 64mb, NO drivers to screw with. heck the unsupported canon printer worked immediatly when i plugged it in.

Ive just been out of windows far too long, adn im trying to recall all the million problems i had...only i did 3D graphics and video editing, i hafta remember which problems werent related to that.

the gf wants the mac. Her mom doesnt car what it is, or how long itll last. her attitude is, they dont abuse computers with high end apps, so it should work. Well their emachine from 2000, that cost 1200$ is dead. My G3 mac is still in strong use from 1996, all original parts. Stuff like this im trying to compare

new vid 8/8/05
QUOTE Thanks
spong

Quote:

Yeah, I can help you.

Last time I got a BSOD was about 3 years ago.
Spyware - no, never had that.
Viruses - had Nimda on our network, um I guess 2 years ago. Took us about 20 minutes to clean it up.

You should try to work on the positive aspects of OSX, rather than the negatives of Windows, as in fact there aren't really that many. XP is probably as stable as OSX nowadays.

If she likes the Mac, get the Mac. She's certainly not going to sit thinking 'Boy, I wish I'd got that Dell'.
QUOTE Thanks
MadSkillzMan

i cant see how you guys can go yay long without these issues. We've taken brand new hardware, installed XP, BEHIND a firewall, and after 3 or 4 projects, we have to reformat.

A few months back, i got 9 different calls from all over ohio, some slew of viri went NUTS all over. I was asleep. I woke up, the family computer wouldnt boot. as i removed the HDD to copy files, i forgot my bros dual CPU rig was on the internet...that went down.

I watched all kinds of .exe's fill up my macs desktop, i just laughed at that. friends from colleges, my mom even who works at the federal resesrve bank of cleveland called home to ask w t f.

In her place they have dells. They decided to lay off all the IT people, becuase the dells break down so often, or windows needs some tinkering, its actually CHEAPER to go to dell, buy new ones and trade in the old ones, than employ a small team of IT people to maintain them.

Im surprised, usually on forums about in depth PC stuff, windows is crapped on nonstop, in favor for linux/BSD and lately OSX..though i get tuanted for being the only mac user... and at an OSX forum i got people sticking up for XP? thats complete irony lol.

there isnt a bad thing i can say about my mac except im still broke, but its worth it. Its been the most enjoyable computer experience within the 8 years ive worked on computers. OS7/8/9 scared me away, OSX, and the great hardware integration brought me back.

new vid 8/8/05
QUOTE Thanks
falltime

Quote:
i cant see how you guys can go yay long without these issues. We've taken brand new hardware, installed XP, BEHIND a firewall, and after 3 or 4 projects, we have to reformat.

A few months back, i got 9 different calls from all over ohio, some slew of viri went NUTS all over. I was asleep. I woke up, the family computer wouldnt boot. as i removed the HDD to copy files, i forgot my bros dual CPU rig was on the internet...that went down.

I watched all kinds of .exe's fill up my macs desktop, i just laughed at that. friends from colleges, my mom even who works at the federal resesrve bank of cleveland called home to ask w t f.

In her place they have dells. They decided to lay off all the IT people, becuase the dells break down so often, or windows needs some tinkering, its actually CHEAPER to go to dell, buy new ones and trade in the old ones, than employ a small team of IT people to maintain them.

Im surprised, usually on forums about in depth PC stuff, windows is crapped on nonstop, in favor for linux/BSD and lately OSX..though i get tuanted for being the only mac user... and at an OSX forum i got people sticking up for XP? thats complete irony lol.

there isnt a bad thing i can say about my mac except im still broke, but its worth it. Its been the most enjoyable computer experience within the 8 years ive worked on computers. OS7/8/9 scared me away, OSX, and the great hardware integration brought me back.
What in-depth PC forums are these?

People still donít get it? It doesn't matter what people say about XP in Linux forums, or what they say about XP in OS X forums.

And I've read what people say about security when it comes to OS X in XP on the Slashdot blogs/forums. They are always lengthy debates, but in the end, it always comes down to marketshare. People could argue it is harder to code a virus for OS X, people could say OS X is more secure because r00t is disabled by default, but, in all honesty, no one will ever really know until OSX's market share reaches similar a parity to Microsoft's.

Because what is security nowadays? Well I once read a great quote that went something like this: "Security is the 'art' of protecting people against themselves." Interesting concept, and it really makes sense. That being said, Microsoft clearly has a more difficult problem on its hands than Apple:

1. Anyone remotely smart enough to program would undoubtedly understand that coding a virus for Microsoft would do an infinitely larger amount of damage on a broad user scale, than if they decided to target OS X. Thatís just logic - Should I go after the OS with 2% market share, or the OS with 90% market share? Hmmmm...
2. Since Windows IS the most popular OS, that means they pull in a significantly larger portion of new kids on the block. These are the people that will instantaneously download an executable that claims to be a "Picture of Britney Spears naked holding a M16 Assault Rifle" - which of course, ends up NOT being a picture of Britney Spears naked with a gun, but a virus that sends e-mails to all of his other brilliant friends claiming to be a picture of Anna Kournikova naked with a machete. After the virus finishes sending e-mails it reformats their computer. Hilariously enough, these people are generally the same people that blame Windows and Microsoft.
3. The nature of competition - everyone wants to see the big dog go down. Everyone who doesn't live in New York, hate the Yankees. Everyone who doesn't live in Boston, hate the Patriots. Everyone who doesn't in LA, hate LA. Everyone who doesn't live in the US, hate the US. I'm speaking in exaggerated generalities obviously - not EVERYONE feels that way... But I'm sure you know what I'm getting at.

Quote:
Today, there is NO OS protecting users against themselves. A user really can install anything they want, when they want. Microsoft could implement nasty user-end mechanisms that protect users from their own stupidity, but that would just **** people off... even the stupid people!
- Linus Torvalds (Creator of Linux)
QUOTE Thanks
Racing666

i have 2 machines right now... B&W G3 450, and a Dell Dimension 2400 P4 2.5...the only reasons i keep the Dell are 1) its my girlfriends ... 2) there are some software programs that i like to use that are not available on Mac.. one being DVDshrink... another is Winamp... and WinAVI.. DVDshrink is the biggie though, for one because it is free... otherwise, i would sell the Dell and buy her a nice G3 or G4 to replace it...
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

$300 Dell PC. Better? That arguable. Better deal? Yes.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:

I have no clue what you are talking about there.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I want to see this video when you are done

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
- Should I go after the OS with 2% market share, or the OS with 90% market share? Hmmmm...
That's not all true .. Millions of people and companies use a Mac.. Plus these people would love to say.. I gave OX a virus.. I always see people mentioning Market shares for the reason for no spyware or viruses, that's probably true up to a point, but not totally true..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Overnight Maintenance Scripts Question | Lacie d2 Lightscribe burner w/ Toast 6 »