New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

clamshell mode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

veilig

veilig is on a distinguished road

I have an older macbook pro a1211, is it possible to run this in clamshell mode w/ out a mouse or keyboard attached via usb but using synergy over a network?

it appears to sleep everytime I close the lid and I can't seem to get it to wake up
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Since you have a Macbook Pro...you should have no trouble running in "Clamshell Mode"...here are the instructions:

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
veilig

ok - that doesn't answer my question at all.

i specifically state that i will not have a keyboard or mouse plugged into the laptop itself but using a keyboard/mouse from another computer and using synergy over a network.

this currently works fine when the laptop is not in clamshell mode - but the machine goes to sleep when i close the lid and i can't seem to get it to wake up.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilig View Post
ok - that doesn't answer my question at all.

i specifically state that i will not have a keyboard or mouse plugged into the laptop itself but using a keyboard/mouse from another computer and using synergy over a network.
I apologize for for missing the part about not having a mouse & keyboard attached...there's no reason to get upset!

Quote:
this currently works fine when the laptop is not in clamshell mode - but the machine goes to sleep when i close the lid and i can't seem to get it to wake up.
If you don't have a mouse & keyboard (wired or wireless) connected to this laptop with the display closed...I don't think that counts as "Clamshell" mode!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
veilig

Perhaps you're right and it would not be considered clamshell.

either way - do you know if its possible to run like that?

I have the mac hooked up to an external display, but would like to be able to close the laptop lid and still use the machine through synergy.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Perhaps you're right and it would not be considered clamshell.

either way - do you know if its possible to run like that?
Here may be a solution. It's sort of a modified "clamshell mode" with no mouse & keyboard attached. The way you get it to work is you plug some sort of USB device into the Macbook Pro (like a small USB flash drive)...much less bulky than an attached keyboard & mouse.

I guess this "tricks" the laptop into enabling "Clamshell mode". Here are the instructions:

Use a MacBook with the main display off - Mac OS X Hints

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Grab insomniax
semaja2

I use this all the time - I can access files, vnc into it, as well as use synergy with it closed.
QUOTE Thanks
veilig

ah that worked. I tried adding a dongle before, but did it while the monitor was up open - then when it closed it still went to sleep. didn't try it while the lid was already shut.

Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
ah that worked. I tried adding a dongle before, but did it while the monitor was up open - then when it closed it still went to sleep. didn't try it while the lid was already shut.

You got it...stop back often.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:

You're welcome...stop back often.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP output cable to connect to tv | Partition size on bootcamp »