Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Specs:
    1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
    Mac Buyers Guide
    For those of you who have not seen this thread, it originally held a "Macintosh Buyer's Guide" that was written by me, to help solve the question posed by potential "switchers" to the mac, "What Mac should I buy?". This guide still exists, but has been moved off of Mac-Forums.

Buyer's Guide

I have removed the text of the Buyer's Guide and moved it to it's own page. Soon, it will be joined by a much more complete guide, as well as other guides that go into specifics about different Macintosh models and releases.

EDIT: I have put the site on a new server and updated it as an iWeb site. None of the text has been changed, yet. If you prefer the original version, it is available on the main page.

Please continue to comment on the guide, as well as make changes for modifications to it! I hope it can serve this forum community as well as it did in the past.

UPDATES:
    1. New iWeb Version Published

Specs:
    ibook G4 14in
    Nice post! bump.

my apple is bling *tisk tisk, you shouldn't have any bling.. just nice things*

Specs:
    1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
    Thanks BigBear, for saying it's nice, and for bumping

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Yea I think this should be stuck up top
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Specs:
    Dual G5 powermac
    lol i knew it, he secretly was going for sticky
    new vid 8/8/05

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSkillzMan
    lol i knew it, he secretly was going for sticky
    oh, you know it! lol, jk.

nah, I just see a ton of these posts, and they start to get to me, cuz I see too many. Now I can just link this to every one I see (or tell them to flip a coin, or iWhats favorite, ask the trunk monkey). It's different for the comparisons of used ones, but for new, this works.

I've got a few more long ones coming up for posts I see a lot of, lol.

Specs:
    dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
    cute!!

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    good post, i am going to start linking this thread to people who ask those questions... Its very informitive, and really hits the nail on the head.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
    That is helpful, I would add that the biggest difference for me between the iMac G5 and the Power Mac G5 is the iMac is a single processor while the Power Mac has dual processors. That alone should make a huge difference in speed for the power/power users.

Specs:
    I added the dual processors to the description above, thanks for pointing that out! I didn't think to put it.

Specs:
    Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
    Thanks for adding this thread. As much as I enjoy giving my input to others it tends to become monotonous when the same question keeps coming up.

bunter001
    I'd habe the IMAC G5 17" 160GB HD. It has a decent graphics card and does the job 4 me.

Specs:
    Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
    Any mac above a g3

BTW rs2sensen ,I like your new avitar!
    Report offensive posts
    Don't forget to use the rep system!

Specs:
    2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
    I thought I'd point out one error: the 15 inch upgraded is NOT the same as the 17 inch. One overlooked item is that the 17-inch PowerBook is the only one with optical digital audio in and out.

From Apple's webpage on the 17-inch PowerBook:

Audiophiles Rejoice

The new 17-inch PowerBook also includes built-in optical digital audio input and output for connecting to devices such as decks, receivers, digital instruments and 5.1 surround sound systems. Because optical digital audio transmits data as impulses of light rather than electrical signals, it enables true, noise-free, pristine sound eliminating troublesome ground loops and ensuring higher audio and signal quality.

In addition, the 17-inch PowerBook uses a 58 WHr power supply, as opposed to the 50WHr one used in the 12 and 15-inch, so a 1.67 GHz 15-incher will actually end up with a shorter battery life than the 17-inch model.

Still, your guide is amazing. :headphone

Specs:
    Good point on the Audio, I had forgotten about that. However, you are only partially correct on the battery. Although the 15" has a smaller power supply, the battery life is technically the same (actually, I've found the 15" to have a fair amount better battery life than the 17"). Apple says specifically about them:

"50-watt-hour lithium-ion battery (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) providing up to 4.5 hours of battery life (15-inch models)" This is the same size as the 12" model, however in the 12", it gives 5 hours of battery life.

"58-watt-hour lithium-ion battery (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) providing up to 4.5 hours of battery life (17-inch model)"

Key point in both 15" and 17" models, 4.5 hours.

Thanks for the input though, I'll add in an edit about the audio!

Thread Information