New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Graphic/FPS issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Quote is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, OSX Version 10.6.4, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 3 GB Ram

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong Forum or if it's been answered before.
---------

I have a problem that happens basically all the time. When I first start playing any sort of graphic-using program (from major fullscreen games to flash games to iWeb) it works fine for awhile. Not too long after starting it -usually about 5 minutes or so after- the fan starts going and it gradually gets louder, during the time that it's going framerate on my computer is REALLY slow.. this persists for about 15-20 minutes usually and it will suddenly go back up what it normally does..

I know it's capable of playing these games at 60 FPS because that's what it starts out with, but then it goes down to between 4 and 10 FPS during the time that the fan is going. After it goes 'back up' it stays around 30-40 in what I'm usually doing.

ALSO - I should add, this isn't a problem I experienced when I first got it or for a long time after that.. I think I first started noticing the problem around the last OS update.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

You're going to need to provide more information about your machine and software prior to someone being able to give you a good answer.

Things like:

Version of Mac you have
GPU you have
RAM you have
OSX Version you have
Software you have running in the background

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Provide the information @Nethfel asked for, and at the least add your Mac information to your profile so that we can quickly check that information..

Remember a Mac isn't like a console where just saying you own a PS3 or XBOX 360 immediately tells others about the devices capabilities..you need to elaborate to get any useful answer back..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks

Mac Specs: MacBook, OSX Version 10.6.4, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 3 GB Ram

I'm using a macbook..
3GB ram
OSX version 10.6.4
and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

It happens whether or not there are background programs running
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Put a temp monitor on it?

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Put a temp monitor on it?
It's not a problem with the screen, that much I do know.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The next time it happens do this:

Go to Applications, Utilities. Open the Activity Monitor.app and look to see what's consuming the CPU and memory. Copy it down best you can and post it back here.

A quick note about flash... Any kind of flash intensive game or graphics display, (video, etc) will ramp up the fan as flash taxes the system fairly heavily. In fact, you may see the frame rate going up and down during that time. Your GPU should be able to handle most, but not all graphic intensive games and displays. It's normal to see some degradation during that time.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Was this happening before you upgraded your RAM to an unmatched 3GB?
QUOTE Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The next time it happens do this:

Go to Applications, Utilities. Open the Activity Monitor.app and look to see what's consuming the CPU and memory. Copy it down best you can and post it back here.

A quick note about flash... Any kind of flash intensive game or graphics display, (video, etc) will ramp up the fan as flash taxes the system fairly heavily. In fact, you may see the frame rate going up and down during that time. Your GPU should be able to handle most, but not all graphic intensive games and displays. It's normal to see some degradation during that time.
I've checked this before, it never uses up more than 300MB of memory or so & 40-50% CPU.

I took a sample from the program that was running through activity monitor and the line "AssertandCrash" came up a lot
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Was this happening before you upgraded your RAM to an unmatched 3GB?
As above?
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

temperature monitor to see if everything is working - not a video monitor
Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - iStat Pro
It should tell you fan status, etc and what is heating up.

And yeah - any flash will kick up the temp/fans.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ipod touch sync | Keyboard Shortcut help. »