New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Non-mac monitor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mhafwet

mhafwet is on a distinguished road

I need to buy a macbook pro for college. I'm in my third year, studying international photojournalism. I'm willing to sink in the $$$ for the laptop and software I need, but I'm hesitant about the monitor.

I want a 13" macbook pro with a desktop display to plug into while I'm at home.

As I browse online, I'm finding good-quality monitors for about $500 less that the mac 24" cinema display. Like this one: Buy.com - Samsung 2494SW 24" Widescreen 1080p LCD Monitor - 50,000:1 (DC), 5ms, DVI

My questions:
1) I'm hoping for a fast and easy hookup to the external display. Sit down, plug in, go. Will anything non-mac be a pain, or is it pretty easy?

2) I'm a serious photographer. I'd like to work for National Geographic when I graduate, and I need extremely accurate color on my display. I'm going to be buying a colorimeter to calibrate the screen bi-weekly. I've never used a colorimeter before, and I would love to know if colorimeter software will calibrate a mac computer with a non-mac display flawlessly. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

1) It's pretty easy. You'll figure it out in no time.

2) Color-Sync Utility and Digital Color Meter should fit the bill.

 MB White Uni l'09 - OS X 10.9
 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 5th gen iPod touch - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Non-Apple monitors should be no problem since the hook up is the with a Mini Displayport to DVI converter..

For good color reproduction, make sure the LCD panel is IPS

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
bjmini

bjmini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Non-Apple monitors should be no problem since the hook up is the with a Mini Displayport to DVI converter..
I have yet to successfully connect a monitor to my Mac Mini. I found a forum on apple.com with hundreds of people having problems with monitor connections. I've been advised to buy various adapters, and I've ordered them but haven't received them yet. So you might get lucky and get it to connect, or you might not. If possible, try the monitor on your machine before buying it. Since BestBuy sells macs AND monitors, you might get some help from them.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

My old Mac Mini has a regular DVI connection and I had a Samsung LCD connected to it without any problem..with the new Mac Mini if you use the converter from Apple, it should absolutely work with any monitor..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmini View Post
I have yet to successfully connect a monitor to my Mac Mini. I found a forum on apple.com with hundreds of people having problems with monitor connections. I've been advised to buy various adapters, and I've ordered them but haven't received them yet. So you might get lucky and get it to connect, or you might not. If possible, try the monitor on your machine before buying it. Since BestBuy sells macs AND monitors, you might get some help from them.
Strange to be reading that as I've had no problems using a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter connected to a 19" flatscreen TV/Monitor on my Mac mini.

 MB White Uni l'09 - OS X 10.9
 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 5th gen iPod touch - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I currently have two external monitors connected to my MacBook Pro. One serves as the main screen and the other is used fro things such as e-mail and word processing. No problems connecting either monitor.

I always advise people who are going to be critical about their displays to look at them if possible. I like my Samsung and finally got the color matched to my printer but I got a look at one of the Apple monitors a few months ago in my ophthalmologist's office. The Apple monitor was better (IMHO). I just can't justify the cost difference for the tasks that I do daily. Other users, with different needs may well conclude otherwise. Unfortunately a high quality monitor is going to cost no matter who makes it.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I inherited my brother's mac & I've never used one before | Use right click to create new text documents? »