Thread: Non-mac monitor

Cool Non-mac monitor
    I need to buy a macbook pro for college. I'm in my third year, studying international photojournalism. I'm willing to sink in the $$$ for the laptop and software I need, but I'm hesitant about the monitor.

I want a 13" macbook pro with a desktop display to plug into while I'm at home.

As I browse online, I'm finding good-quality monitors for about $500 less that the mac 24" cinema display. Like this one: Buy.com - Samsung 2494SW 24" Widescreen 1080p LCD Monitor - 50,000:1 (DC), 5ms, DVI

My questions:
    1) I'm hoping for a fast and easy hookup to the external display. Sit down, plug in, go. Will anything non-mac be a pain, or is it pretty easy?

2) I'm a serious photographer. I'd like to work for National Geographic when I graduate, and I need extremely accurate color on my display. I'm going to be buying a colorimeter to calibrate the screen bi-weekly. I've never used a colorimeter before, and I would love to know if colorimeter software will calibrate a mac computer with a non-mac display flawlessly. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

1) It's pretty easy. You'll figure it out in no time.

2) Color-Sync Utility and Digital Color Meter should fit the bill.
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.3
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9.3
     Mac mini early 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
     MacBook unibody/white late 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Non-Apple monitors should be no problem since the hook up is the with a Mini Displayport to DVI converter..

For good color reproduction, make sure the LCD panel is IPS

Regards

Non-Apple monitors should be no problem since the hook up is the with a Mini Displayport to DVI converter..
    I have yet to successfully connect a monitor to my Mac Mini. I found a forum on apple.com with hundreds of people having problems with monitor connections. I've been advised to buy various adapters, and I've ordered them but haven't received them yet. So you might get lucky and get it to connect, or you might not. If possible, try the monitor on your machine before buying it. Since BestBuy sells macs AND monitors, you might get some help from them.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    My old Mac Mini has a regular DVI connection and I had a Samsung LCD connected to it without any problem..with the new Mac Mini if you use the converter from Apple, it should absolutely work with any monitor..

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by bjmini View Post
    I have yet to successfully connect a monitor to my Mac Mini. I found a forum on apple.com with hundreds of people having problems with monitor connections. I've been advised to buy various adapters, and I've ordered them but haven't received them yet. So you might get lucky and get it to connect, or you might not. If possible, try the monitor on your machine before buying it. Since BestBuy sells macs AND monitors, you might get some help from them.
    Strange to be reading that as I've had no problems using a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter connected to a 19" flatscreen TV/Monitor on my Mac mini.
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.3
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9.3
     Mac mini early 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
     MacBook unibody/white late 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    I currently have two external monitors connected to my MacBook Pro. One serves as the main screen and the other is used fro things such as e-mail and word processing. No problems connecting either monitor.

I always advise people who are going to be critical about their displays to look at them if possible. I like my Samsung and finally got the color matched to my printer but I got a look at one of the Apple monitors a few months ago in my ophthalmologist's office. The Apple monitor was better (IMHO). I just can't justify the cost difference for the tasks that I do daily. Other users, with different needs may well conclude otherwise. Unfortunately a high quality monitor is going to cost no matter who makes it.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Thread Information