New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

questions about sleep, and system scripts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mr..nemo

from reading this site ive read there is no need to defrag because the mac will do this in the night, is this true?

and will i need to set the mac up to do this, or will it do it automaticly?

if it does it automaticly, it will obiousley run the scripts if my comp is on, but what about if my comp is in sleep mode(which i leave it over night) with a password on?????

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
dstyrk

It needs to be up and running. You can use a program like Coctail to run them whenever you need if you don't leave your Mac on 24/7.

Get it here.
QUOTE Thanks
mr..nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstyrk
It needs to be up and running. You can use a program like Coctail to run them whenever you need if you don't leave your Mac on 24/7.

Get it here.
but isnt sleep classed as running 24/7
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr..nemo
but isnt sleep classed as running 24/7
No. While your HD may technically be "on", in very general terms, the point of putting your computer to sleep is to keep your HD from running and using power.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mr..nemo

is it better to leave the mac on or off?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Mac OS X, like most UNIX style OSes, is more or less designed to be up and running at all times. There really is no need to turn the computer off or put it to sleep. Unless it is a laptop or you don't plan on using the computer for a long period of time, it is best to just leave it on and running.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mr..nemo

that sounds like a good soloution to me, but its anoying sleeping threw the noise. as the comp is next to my bed
QUOTE Thanks
hardran3

Defrag does not happen at night. It happens all the time:

"Everytime an application opens a file for reading, HFS+ checks if the file is fragmented and is less than 20MB in size. If so, it copies the file's contents to a continuous region on the disk and frees up the previously allocated blocks."

Just make sure you have lots (20%) of free space.

For the periodic tasks on my iBook I use Anacron. Works Great.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« user account | mac equivalent to turbo lister? »