Thread: wierd

Specs:
    IMAC
    wierd
    I must have clicked on something or went to a bad website, but every once in a while a voice comes on and says something about "pest control" or something. It comes very randomly. I ran Onyx, but it is still happening. There does not seem to be anything minimized. I closed Safari and reopened but it is still happening. I hope it is not a virus or anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    That is "weird".

If it is a virus, you are going to be famous for being the first person using a Mac to get a virus. Congratulations!
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Sounds like you may've exploited something.

Options? Reinstall Mac OS X.

Which reminds me, what version of Mac OS X are you running and on what type of computer?
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.3
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9.3
     Mac mini early 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
     MacBook unibody/white late 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

You mention Safari, so is this happening only when you use Safari or even when you don't have your browser open? Try resetting Safari via the Safari menu, or at least clear the cache.

If it's malware you're concerned about you could download and run iAntivirus or the trial of Macscan.

One more thing, is your system up to date? How about your version of flash? The version of flash in the last combo update wasn't the most up to date version of flash back then, and now it would be several versions behind. One version of flash that wasn't in the combo update contained fixes to what Adobe and others called critical security flaws. I'm not saying that's what your problem is, but no matter what I think it's good for anyone still using flash to make sure they have the latest version.

Quote Originally Posted by LPPU View Post
    You mention Safari, so is this happening only when you use Safari or even when you don't have your browser open? Try resetting Safari via the Safari menu, or at least clear the cache.

If it's malware you're concerned about you could download and run iAntivirus or the trial of Macscan.

One more thing, is your system up to date? How about your version of flash? The version of flash in the last combo update wasn't the most up to date version of flash back then, and now it would be several versions behind. One version of flash that wasn't in the combo update contained fixes to what Adobe and others called critical security flaws. I'm not saying that's what your problem is, but no matter what I think it's good for anyone still using flash to make sure they have the latest version.
    Along those lines, if you're running a modern day Mac (Leopard/Snow Leopard) with Safari 5, try disabling your extensions.
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.3
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9.3
     Mac mini early 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
     MacBook unibody/white late 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    Try going into Safari Preferences, clear cache, cookies and history and see if that gets rid of 'the voice'.

Specs:
    iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
    Just mute the volume. Problem solved

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    It's not a virus, because there aren't any.

I like how you say you "closed" Safari rather than "quit" Safari. That might be the first clue right there.

Does a restart of the machine clear up the issue? Does it only happen when running Safari?

Specs:
    MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
    I agree with the previous posters that it sounds like something in the cookies or an object that's hung somehow...
    Just a stupid kid with a computer, so take my advice with a grain of salt if that makes a difference to you.

Thread Information