New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

It's been awhile...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Belvedeer

Belvedeer is on a distinguished road

I'm a little out of practice, I kind of left the world of tech a long time ago and it seems I am back. It's funny how we go full circle. I'm going to be reacquainting myself to Adobe and will be using CS5.

I sadly left the Apple world some time ago when I bought a new Dell Laptop as I was broke and being cheap! What a mistake!

I'm starting a business in my OLD stomping grounds.. web/graphic design and interactive media. Last mac I owned was a G4 PowerMac. G5's weren't out when I left the world of tech.

Anyway with any new business we try to stretch the startup funds as far as we can and buying a new Mac Pro or iMac just isn't going to work for the cost effective side of things. If things go well I'll upgrade at that point.

I've been looking at the PowerMac Dual G5's on the used market. I know I can't run Snow Leopard and that's fine. The models I've seen are in the 2.0Ghz and 2.3Ghz range, they are the models generally that could max out at 8GB of RAM. I've found prices from $350 to $600 which is much better that a few grand as I have a lot of other things I need to buy as well.

I dont want to shoot myself in the foot with being under powered for CS5 as I'll be doing some Premiere work, but that is more minimal. Generally I'll be in illustrator, photoshop, and dreamweaver, and some indesign.

Will the Dual G5's get me by for now and handle the rigors of what I'll be doing until things take off and I can afford a nice new Intel based Mac Pro?

Your advice is greatly needed for this lost sheep.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Adobe CS5 is intel Mac onry. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Distance to keyboard? | bootcamp »