New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook Pro External Monitor HDMI - Getting out of Display Sleep Mode problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hoobastank68

hoobastank68 is on a distinguished road

Hi

I've been using a samsung monitor 23? Widescreen LCD Monitor with LED Backlight PX2370 - Premium - Monitors | SAMSUNG for EXTERNAL Monitor for macbook and it works well.

1) It worked perfectly with "Insomnia" + "Caffein" app so my LAPTOP never sleeps.

2) However I had turned on "EXPOSE" so my laptop "MONITOR" + "EXTERNAL MONITOR" goes to sleep when i want it to, without shutting down laptop.

3) When I return to my DESK< All I do is MOVE MY MOUSE and my monitor comes back on.

This wasn't a problem when I used the mini to APPLE DVI Converter

However recently i decided to get Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter a try.

It works well in HDMI but now problem arise

1) If i put my monitor to sleep for more than 10-30

2) I return to my desk and move my MOUSE or KEYBOARD Click

3) External monitor (Samsung) doesn't respond.

Only way to get external monitor working = to close it/power off then power on again. Before it would just auto- come back on.

Any idea how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated,

as I GAVE AWAY the DVI** Adapter, thinking this HDMI would work better
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If DVI is available, imho, it is always the preferred connection in lieu of HDMI when connecting to a computer.

Samsung's in particular (along with ViewSonic) are notorious for not passing proper EDID info via HDMI to Macs. They do the same with Windows machines, except Samsung provides their own drivers and software for Windows and they have not seen fit to provide them for OS X.

Sorry, but my best guess to fix it... go back to DVI.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
hoobastank68

hoobastank68 is on a distinguished road

sigh, so i'd need to buy another DVI Connector

No other way around this? The HDMI does show higher quality even if a little it seems.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

None that I know. But, Samsung has been on the short list of companies that are not allowed to have any of my money for the last 5 years and do not foresee that changing any time soon. Perhaps some others using a Samsung will have something to report. Maybe give it a couple of days before you replace the cable again.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

+1 here. I have two Samsung monitors and they're both a pain. The only way either will work well is to use DVI. Don't even try with HDMI or for that matter VGA.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just got my macbook pro today... | Selling my Windows Computers. »