New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Sage advice for the new Mac switcher

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jjq224

jjq224 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: (#1) 21.5" iMac 3.06GHz OS 10.6.7 (#2) 13" MBP 2.3 GHz OS 10.6.7

Hey all !

Switched to an iMac about a month ago and could not be happier. Liked your set of "rules" but have to offer a bit of contention about "not installing Windows". The main reason for the new Mac was my PC bit the dust, I didn't want to put the time (or effort) into fixing it and had the funds to buy a Mac - plus, I have been working with Micro-crud since DOS 2 (if anyone remembers back that far) and they have gotten steadily worse. Couldn't wait to drop them like a bad habit. Unfortunately, I have two software packages that I use daily (one for Scouting and one for a side business) that do not have a Mac counter-part . Because of this (and the dead PC), I had to install Windows on my beautiful Mac (and felt "dirty" doing so - LOL). I must say, Windows runs better on the Mac than it ever did on the regular PC.

But it was not installed, as you wrote, as a crutch. I am actually looking into getting some Mac certification (I ran the MS gambit - now to try something new) and took to OS X like a fish to water.

I hope I won't need much help, but it's nice to know there are people out there with answers!
QUOTE Thanks
MJB013

MJB013 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Mac Book Pro

Picked up my NEW MacBookPro last night, i love it, although i haven't really done anything on it yet.

iTunes first, email 2nd.

I'm sur i will love it once i get used to it
QUOTE Thanks
albertmcfinny

albertmcfinny is on a distinguished road

Thanks chas_m for the useful info.

Im 3 weeks into the switch over from Windows to Mac. I wish I had made the switch sooner.

Im finding a lot of useful info on this forum.

Once again Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pitbullmamaliz

pitbullmamaliz is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say thank you for this sticky. I joined the Mac cult ( ) just a couple days after the 2011 MacBook Pro was released, and I can't see myself ever going back. I'm already loving this forum - thanks for your kindness to those of us who are recent converts and still learning.

Liz - recent Mac convert!
2011 MacBook Pro, 13", i5
QUOTE Thanks
m47th3w

m47th3w is on a distinguished road

I'm a new switcher and am looking forward to this forum. I have a bunch of noob questions.
QUOTE Thanks
Braven

Braven is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: (27" iMac i5) (2011 15" MacBook Pro)

Wow, thanks for putting this info together. As a new Mac user myself (today is day 7), it will was a very useful read.

I just discovered this site today and I love it. Talk about a wealth of knowledge.
QUOTE Thanks
NAVET

NAVET is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GB Intel Core 2 Duo@2.4GHz 750GB HDD

I am loving this thread. I am less than 18 hrs into my MacBook and love it. As of now I don't see me going back to "the dark side".

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
QUOTE Thanks
amanzed

amanzed is on a distinguished road

Generally helpful post, but this bit is sheer bigotry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I'm not speaking to you directly on this, but in general Windows users pirate like crazy...
This noxious rhetoric reinforces the granfalloon of "cool Mac users" vs "uncool Windows users".

Shame. To quote the original poster (my emphasis added),

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
This is why Mac users sometimes come off smug

Last edited by amanzed; 05-08-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: To improve by adding second quote
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Regardless of what you may think of it, there is statistical evidence to back it up.

Study finds Mac users are more honest than Windows users | The Open Road - CNET News

This is why PC users come off as more budget-focused and less value-focused than Mac users.
QUOTE Thanks
amanzed

Cheers, chas_m,

I followed your links. If you dig down, you see that the poll shows that Mac users self-report buying more CDs and downloaded music than Windows users. Then blog headline writers concluded that Mac users are more honest than Windows users. Is that the kind of logic you're advocating? Wouldn't you rather focus on reinforcing positive behavior instead of playing along with divisive stereotypes?

Hey, you wrote a fine post. I was just -- writer to writer -- taking some time to contribute.

Otherwise you could -- with minimal changes -- be writing a "Guide for Newcomers to Beverly Hills".
Quote:
3. Don't shoplift. Pay for what you use.

I'm not speaking to you directly on this, but in general out-of-towners shoplift like crazy -- to the point that they are not even aware that they're doing it. Particularly when it comes to our community stores, Beverly Hills NEEDS to retain the best kinds of businesses, and that means those retailers should be paid for their wares. Hunt for bargains, take advantage of sales, but I think you'll find that most Beverly Hills merchandise is of WAY higher quality than most inner-city merchandise, and we really like it that way, so please pay for what you pick up.

As for entertainment, I think you'll find major-label music so much easier and more enjoyable (and for the most part reasonably priced) to use you'll appreciate the value. [than what? unclear antecedent. --ed.] As my dad always said, "Nothing is ever really free. You always pay Peter when you rob Paul." This is why Beverly Hills residents sometimes come off smug -- because we understand VALUE versus just PRICE.
Lastly, do you really think this kind of pious admonishment actually works?

The rest of your piece is great!

Peace.

Last edited by amanzed; 05-08-2011 at 08:52 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
txtchr

txtchr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM

Interesting topic, and it has obviously swayed quite a bit from the original intention of this thread. We need to look at where the majority of software is developed: Microsoft and Apple both being based in the US (North America) and where the majority of piracy occurs:

Business Software Alliance Piracy Rates By Region

Looking at these findings, the North American region (where most software is developed) is a novice compared with other regions.

"There is no free lunch in economics." If you want it, buy it.

Love your original post, chas_m.

"The only thing that is constant is change." -- Heraclitus
QUOTE Thanks
amanzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtchr View Post
Interesting topic, and it has obviously swayed quite a bit from the original intention of this thread....
I am a recent "switcher" (MacBook Pro i7). My response was a direct reply to the slant of one of the paragraphs in the original post... so that isn't "swaying quite a bit" from the original post.
QUOTE Thanks
Tintigieu

Tintigieu is on a distinguished road

Hey
Apple-devoted other half has finally convinced me to relegate my PC to the garage. New iMac is lovely, iTunes is set up, Library and Playlists imported, Time Machine connected, preferences almost worked out BUT...here's the thing - my entire working life has been on the PC (give or take) and so all my documentation is generated in MSOffice. Because of this, I chose to have Office for Mac on the new machine. This makes all my docs work of course, but there are loads of little things in Word for the Mac which are weird - and in some cases, more time-consuming and less helpful than on the PC (I know this is heresy). Can anyone be bothered to go through these few wee things with me, so I can see if they are things I can figure out a work-around for, or if they are just going to have to be part of the ongoing and joyous process of unlearning and relearning? Used to mousing everything and am oddly reluctant to start using keyboard shortcuts but if that's the only way...I guess my memory will either adapt or melt! Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Tintigieu:

You'll have much better luck finding an answer by starting your own thread on this topic in the appropriate forum (which is probably "Mac OS X Applications and Games").
QUOTE Thanks
Buck_68

Buck_68 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 17" late 2007 model (A1229) 2.6Ghz; 4GB Ram

Chas

As a new convert to Mac (MacBook Pro) can I say thanks for this post - great for a newbie like me as I begin my journey into the world of Mac - thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« battery/power issues | music from tapes »