New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Sage advice for the new Mac switcher

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

amanda.a.p

amanda.a.p is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Also, the pinch gesture zooms in and out (like the iPhone). Oh, and twisting switches tabs. Three-finger swipe goes back and forward too.

Another one I love: Hit the / key and then start typing and it searches within the page for the terms you type.

Have a news site you like? Click the RSS button in the address bar and then add it to your Bookmarks toolbar. Then, click the entry for it and it will drop down a menu with titles of the latest stories.

I could go on and on....
Knew the pinch gesture, what do you mean twisting? I love the news thing, and the search feature is definitely cool... I tried to twist and only managed to bring up my widgets. lol.

Amanda
13-inch, Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD*16 GB iPhone 3GS*80 GB iPod Classic*8 GB iPod nano, 3rd generation*1 GB iPod nano, 1st generation
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda.a.p View Post
Knew the pinch gesture, what do you mean twisting? I love the news thing, and the search feature is definitely cool... I tried to twist and only managed to bring up my widgets. lol.
I guess I haven't used it in awhile. It doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment. Normally you'd just put two fingers on the trackpad and twist them either clockwise or counter-clockwise to switch tabs. For whatever reason, I can't get it to work just now.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
amanda.a.p

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.

Quote:
I guess I haven't used it in awhile. It doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment. Normally you'd just put two fingers on the trackpad and twist them either clockwise or counter-clockwise to switch tabs. For whatever reason, I can't get it to work just now.
Well, that's all right, thanks for the help I'm officially converted.

Amanda
13-inch, Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD*16 GB iPhone 3GS*80 GB iPod Classic*8 GB iPod nano, 3rd generation*1 GB iPod nano, 1st generation
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, that's all right, thanks for the help I'm officially converted.
Welcome to the club! Unfortunately once you fall in love with FF, you do get spoiled. Now every other browser I use seems to fall short.

Make sure you drag that Firefox icon out of the disk image and drop it into your Applications folder. Then, the next time you start it, right click its icon in the Dock and click 'Keep in Dock'.

You probably already know that, but we seem to get a lot of threads on the subject (specific to Firefox for some reason), so I'm just trying to nip it in the bud.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
amanda.a.p

Quote:
Welcome to the club! Unfortunately once you fall in love with FF, you do get spoiled. Now every other browser I use seems to fall short.

Make sure you drag that Firefox icon out of the disk image and drop it into your Applications folder. Then, the next time you start it, right click its icon in the Dock and click 'Keep in Dock'.

You probably already know that, but we seem to get a lot of threads on the subject (specific to Firefox for some reason), so I'm just trying to nip it in the bud.
Yep, I did, but thanks for the advice. :]

Amanda
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Ad Block Plus is really one of the few add-ons I must have.
Of course Safari 5 has ad blockers as well. The one used in Chrome has been ported over as an extension and is really pretty excellent.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

To chas_m I just read your first post here and sure it's what most people know. But it's great for switchers and said in an excellent and easy to understand way. Well doen no the post.

In saying that though I have a few points I want to say about it.

In point 7, I would really list the application Onyx. I tell every new to Mac user about it and everyone of them end up loving the app. Well if I wrote the guide I'd have it in. I didn't write it though, you did .

In point 4, you should mention to keep up to date with all the security updates through software update. Because that's the best thing to do in my opinion. Everything else about security you have pretty much covered there.

You need to make a point to say visit this page.
Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts
To me Apple's shortcuts is what makes it head and shoulders above any other OS. Well it's just one of the things OS X has. But learning even a few of those would make any switchers life so much easier.

And somewhere you should put in click to flash for safari. I think it's almost a requirement for safari these days.

That's all I can think of. You don't have to add any of what I said in. They are just are what the switchers I have taught to use macs - as in it's what those switchers loved and still love to this very day.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
To chas_m I just read your first post here and sure it's what most people know. But it's great for switchers and said in an excellent and easy to understand way. Well doen no the post.

In saying that though I have a few points I want to say about it.

In point 7, I would really list the application Onyx. I tell every new to Mac user about it and everyone of them end up loving the app. Well if I wrote the guide I'd have it in. I didn't write it though, you did .

In point 4, you should mention to keep up to date with all the security updates through software update. Because that's the best thing to do in my opinion. Everything else about security you have pretty much covered there.

To me Apple's shortcuts is what makes it head and shoulders above any other OS. Well it's just one of the things OS X has. But learning even a few of those would make any switchers life so much easier.

And somewhere you should put in click to flash for safari. I think it's almost a requirement for safari these days.

That's all I can think of. You don't have to add any of what I said in. They are just are what the switchers I have taught to use macs - as in it's what those switchers loved and still love to this very day.
All good points, but I just want to reiterate one thing so that you understand the context of the initial post...

This post was created as a response to a switcher in a completely different thread. So, it's a bit out of context as its own standalone thread, but still I liked the advice so much that I copied out to its own thread and gave it a title.

So, this is an opinion piece, somewhat out of context and not ever meant to be a definitive guide (hence the title).

With that said, if chas wants to add to or edit the initial post, I'll be happy to help with implementing.

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Ah ok that I didn't know. Thanks for the information. But with the sticky the post became much more important. Still it's totally up to chas if he does anything or not to the original post.

But even as the original post stands now it's really good.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

First off, thanks for the kind words 8thshark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
In point 7, I would really list the application Onyx. I tell every new to Mac user about it and everyone of them end up loving the app.
Maintenance is a simplified version of Onyx made by the same people. In working with newbies and switchers I like to keep things as easy as possible, knowing that at some point they'll feel comfortable enough to move on to bigger and better.

Quote:
This is an excellent point. When my original post got made into a sticky I was happy for others to just "append" their amendments in the thread generally, but that is a good enough idea that I think you're right, it should be in the "original" essay. I'll chat with cwa about it.

Quote:
I don't have to since you just did.

Thanks for the many great ideas.
QUOTE Thanks
amanda.a.p

What's Onyx?

Amanda
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX
QUOTE Thanks
amanda.a.p

So... it's like jailbreaking your macbook? Lol... Can you explain to me what that means?

Amanda
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
So... it's like jailbreaking your macbook? Lol... Can you explain to me what that means?
Onyx is a multi-function utility program that allows you to tweak settings as well as perform maintenance functions. It has nothing to do with Jailbreaking which is used to break the protection mechanisms on the iOS devices.

QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

No, it's pretty much a housecleaning app.
You can use it for basic maintenance (which is what most users use it for) such as clearing caches, browser history, repairing permissions etc, or for extensive maintenance which you will see all the options of by clicking all the tabs.
The basic maintenance is all that is advised unless you are a super user and know exactly what each task actually does.
I generally just use the automation tab, which has a batch of tasks, and check all the items in there, once a month or two or three.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« file save | Safari cant open Google as it cant find the server. »