New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Opinions on Switching to and iMac and iPad Setup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ZoSo0789

ZoSo0789 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.6 Intel i5 w/ 4MB L3 cache, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 ---- 16 GB iPad w/ 3G

Hi, I'm a mathematics and engineering student and debating on which model of Mac to buy (yes, Im sure you get millions of these threads lol). My 6 year old Dell Inspirion is on its last legs and I want to get a new setup before it entirely gives out; Im entirely and completely sick of PCs and Windows in general. My first impression was to get a MacBook Pro, but upon further research I think I'm going to go the iMac/iPad combo route. Now when I'm using this at school (the iMac only.... Im well aware the iPad is just for "consuming" media and not creating), I use it for ALOT of document processing, ALOT of spreadsheets, extensive internet research and Facebook procrastination lol, Photoshop, video and audio encoding, ALOT of music play and mixing, some movie watching, and plan on playing Doom 3. Is this model Im looking at overkill, or about right? Any opinions on this?

21.5" iMac
3.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 6MB L2 cache (the extra cache is worth the upgrade IMO and may as well get the better processor while Im spending the money)
4 GB RAM (will upgrade to 8GB in the future, but not needed right now)
1 TB 7200rpm harddrive
ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics card upgrade

am I overdoing it, or am I right on the money? I know I want the graphics card, but I guess the biggest question is the processor..... I know I probably will never notice a difference, but at least I know thered be a better processor in it and could 'extend' its longevity in terms of being technologically relevant by a little margin

Thanks, first Mac experience so Im in the dark
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Depending on what your budget is..the iMac you've chosen is a very good one and will do everything you want to do quite well..

Now you can up your longevity by bumping up to the 27" iMac with the i5 or i7..but that also comes at a bump in price..and since you want to get an iPad as well..that might or might not work..

I think the graphics card in the iMac you've chosen will handle Doom 3 very easily..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
ZoSo0789

ZoSo0789 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.6 Intel i5 w/ 4MB L3 cache, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 ---- 16 GB iPad w/ 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Depending on what your budget is..the iMac you've chosen is a very good one and will do everything you want to do quite well..

Now you can up your longevity by bumping up to the 27" iMac with the i5 or i7..but that also comes at a bump in price..and since you want to get an iPad as well..that might or might not work..

I think the graphics card in the iMac you've chosen will handle Doom 3 very easily..

Regards
while Id LOVE to have a quad core i7, neither the serious price bump nor the screen size (simply too **** big.... the 21.5 is more than big enough lol) fit what I can do at the moment
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

I think that set up would do well with all the things you need it for.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo0789 View Post
am I overdoing it, or am I right on the money?
I think for the most part that looks like a pretty good setup.

But...how do you feel about the 27" iMac? Your 21" iMac with the 3.06ghz cpu costs $1499...with the 3.33ghz cpu it costs $1699 ($200 more for the faster cpu). This "speed bump" may or may not be noticeable.

For the same $1699 you can get a 3.06ghz 27" iMac. All the specs on this 27" iMac would be exactly the same as the 21" you're considering (same video, same HD, same ram)...just the slightly slower cpu.

If you don't have any problems with the 27" iMac...that extra $200 that's being spent IMHO...you get WAY MORE bang for your buck going from the 21" to 27" display...versus the 3.06ghz to 3.33ghz cpu.

Just something to consider,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

adding to that.... Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Yeah...I saw that quad-core 27" iMac on the refurbished list this weekend. It would seem to be a heck of a deal!

Some "bozo" is trying to sell one of these on my local Craig's List for $2000....when it's selling for $1999 brand new (+ sales tax)...or like you posted...$1499 refurbished (+ sales tax). Confusing...

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook keeps restarting when trying to re-install using the install discs. | Mac user to be....converting music question »