New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Deleted files not in trash??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Xoiii

Xoiii is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my mac and hope you guys can help me out in solving the issue. My problem is that whenever I delete a file, the file not only go to the Trash but it's automatically emptied from the Trash itself. Is there anyway I can fix this so that the files wont be empty whenever I want to delete a file? Thank you for your time and help.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums. Very confusing.

If you do not want them to go, don't put 'em in the trash. Simple.

Whatever is in the trash is gone on emptying and on reboot.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoiii View Post
Is there anyway I can fix this so that the files wont be empty whenever I want to delete a file?
Yes.
Finder > Preferences > Advanced
Uncheck Empty Trash securely
QUOTE Thanks
Xoiii

Xoiii is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
G'day and welcome to the forums. Very confusing.

If you do not want them to go, don't put 'em in the trash. Simple.

Whatever is in the trash is gone on emptying and on reboot.
Thank you and good day to you too.

That's not always the case though, sometimes misclick or wrong highlight of the file can happens, then the file would be gone forever.

I didn't have this problem before. Upon deleting the files, they go into the Trash but is not emptied

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Yes.
Finder > Preferences > Advanced
Uncheck Empty Trash securely
I checked this but the "Empty Trash securely" was already unchecked. I tried to delete a file and it's still getting emptied from the trash.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

When you delete files and empty the trash, they are not necessarily " gone forever " if you have backups.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Are you by chance getting a message telling you that this is going to happen when you go to trash a file? If I understand correctly, is this also happening simply when you highlight a file?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

On a closely related theme, whenever I unzip a .zip file using Stuffit Expander the original zip file is deleted and disappears and is not sent to the trash. I'd rather I had the option to either send it to trash myself or to have the option of recovering it if needed.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
dcocharro

dcocharro is on a distinguished road

Hello!
I have the same problem of Xoiii.
When I delete a file OSX bypasses the Trash folder, with a warning first.
"Empty Trash securely" is unchecked.
This happens in a secondary user account, but with ADMIN privilegies.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If files have to be deleted permanently, it may be because the permissions are wrong on the Trash folder (your Trash is itself a hidden folder in your home directory). Follow the instructions here to check whether or not the Trash has improper permissions and if so, to fix it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I may have missed something, but how are these people deleting files that they are NOT dragging the file to the trash?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

@chas_m - I'm not getting that from the above. It's just that when things are deleted (method not specified) they don't go into Trash, they're just gone.
QUOTE Thanks
Vilcan

Vilcan is on a distinguished road

Hi

Was this ever resolved? I have the exact same problem. When I delete a file, it isnt moved to the trashbin.

Ive also noticed that mye free space is not changing when I delete files. I need to reboot to see the changes.

Vilcan
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilcan View Post
Was this ever resolved?
Hello. Did you try the link in post #9 above? I don't know if that contains the solution, but try it and let as know if it helped.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External NTFS hard drive. | Macbook Air vs. Macbook Pro vs. iPad for an author? »