New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Free password manager download

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cumby

Cumby is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM,Mac OS X 10.5.8

Does anyone know of a free password manager download/app that works well with mac. I have found several on apple's download page but they are all paid programs. Want something to organize and keep my passwords on my imac at home. I keep them on my blackberry, but would like another location to save them to as a back up.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I use 1Password which I know isn't free, but honestly, it's a great program. Not only does it have an iPhone and iPad version, it works with almost all browsers, has an HTML portable version that you can keep on a thumb drive or even access via Dropbox if you're traveling or using another machine, etc.

Passwords IMHO are important, and I honestly don't know any free apps for organizing them that I'd trust.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And 1Password now has a beta our for Windows, which means I'll be able to move it to my HTPC.

I refused pay for it for the first couple of years on my Mac, but it is a great app.
During those first couple of years I just used the Keychain which you already have on your Mac. You can save Password items - I primarily used the Secure Note feature to save all my login, info that I provided to sites, software keys and lots of other stuff.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

You're not going to find anything better than 1Password, it is fantastic, and I have yet to find a better customer support.
Use this link to get 20% off. Password Manager + Automatic Form Filler for Mac OS X

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
And 1Password now has a beta our for Windows, which means I'll be able to move it to my HTPC.

I refused pay for it for the first couple of years on my Mac, but it is a great app.
During those first couple of years I just used the Keychain which you already have on your Mac. You can save Password items - I primarily used the Secure Note feature to save all my login, info that I provided to sites, software keys and lots of other stuff.
I used to use Keychain also, but I eventually wanted something more powerful and intuitive, especially as I needed to access passwords across multiple devices.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
jtdolphins

jtdolphins is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD

I finally broke down and bought 1password recently. I was looking for something cheaper, but really 1password is a really nice program. I have been really happy with it. The only complaint I have is that I waited so long. Its so nice just clicking the button and getting logged in.

I would recommend keeping a hard copy just in case.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

1Password is a life saver. Old guys like me have a hard time remembering all those passwords that we seem to accumulate. It's a real convenience. Worth every bit of the $39.95 registration fee.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Want a mac, need an answer! | Lost Bootcamp > Windows gone »