New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I want to Switch but have so many questions!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

exodus434

exodus434 is on a distinguished road

I currently have a Pc i built myself for gaming, (5 years ago lol) and im sick of the blue screens of death firewall this spyware that malware this virus that... So apple is what i have turned to for help but here is my demands tell me what product is right for me!

It needs to be fast loading browser needs to be safari so thats not an issue but i need it to be able to handle multiple aplications like Photoshop Dreamweaver 3d Generators Itunes music playing as well as many browser windows without slowing down at all. (also not hard to do) But here is where it gets tricky, I also need a computer that can handle my ever changing demands of gaming, Like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Ventrillo open with World of Warcraft running as if it was as old as it really is not laggy good framerate and great load times.

Hard drive space is not really an issue with all the Western Digital Externals out there im currently using 75gb i can handle a 360-500gb no problem even less if nessisary

I DO NOT WANT A MAC BOOK though im getting one of those for seprate work not my gaming and multimedia needs

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

Printerman is a jewel in the roughPrinterman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac10,1, 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 10.8.2, 21.5" screen.

I’d just go with the 21.5" 3.06 GHz iMac.

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
exodus434

Keep in mind i also want to be able to hook it up to a Hdtv Lcd 42+ Inch depending on what i get and i dont want to have to buy another one in a year when Cataclysm Diablo 3 Cod Black ops Etc come out
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

You can hook it up to an external monitor.

And if you’re really that worried about it outdating (which I really wouldn’t be, since mines a 2007 model with a 2.4 GHz processor and runs all CoDs fine) then just go with the 3.33 GHz.

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
exodus434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printerman View Post
You can hook it up to an external monitor.

And if you’re really that worried about it outdating (which I really wouldn’t be, since mines a 2007 model with a 2.4 GHz processor and runs all CoDs fine) then just go with the 3.33 GHz.
I dont know why im worried i guess its the 18 years of Dos and windows getting to me even though i hate it with a passion
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printerman View Post
I’d just go with the 21.5" 3.06 GHz iMac.
Or the 27inch i5 (or even i7 for 200.00 more)
The i5/i7 version of the iMac also has a better graphic card.

It's 2K +

I have the C2D version and I can play games fine on steam... Lately it's been Team Fortress 2

QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

I agree, usually slow FPS is caused by old Graphics cards, and since Macs have some of the best cards, I wouldn’t need to worry about it. 3.06 GHz is a HUGE processor, way bigger than you would need for what you’re describing.

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
exodus434

Well if that is the case what about the newly redesigned and released Mini Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

Take a look for yourself: Apple - Mac mini - Technical Specifications

Should meet your standards if you go with the 2.66GHz processor.

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
exodus434

Im wondering if the Apple store is more linent on there financing than the site, The Site denied me but if i put a DECENT down payment on one you think i can get it, Only reason i say is if thats the case ill just get a mac Pro 8core and be done with it
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

Woah, Mac Pros will be EXTREMELY over powered for what you’re looking for, but it’s your choice. If anyone else would like to put in their input, I would appreciate it.

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
exodus434

Probobly but you know i would never need to upgrade it hahaha well im just new to mac and when i built this PC back in 03 i put the best of the best at the time Amd FX 55 Processor Raedon X800 1gb Ram but now its just a pain to decide with so much new tecnology and ever changing demands im not sure but here is my overall plan for distant future in a few months

Drop Verizon - save $100 a month without my Droid

Pick up Iphone 4g 16g Possibly with Tethering

Buy a Nice 15in Mbpro for my needs on the go (I do Logging so its not like ill need it in the woods but you never know plus nice to have for designing new 3d Models and tshirts lol)

And for my Gaming / Home Theater IM getting a 42 Inch Plus LCD Flat Screen With 7:1 Audio SO im going to need a good machine to have fun with here feel me?
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

Yea I do, I understand, and you’re making it sound like you can afford it too. Go ahead and do whatever floats your boat

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
exodus434

Im probobly going to wait till I move into the house i just closed on the 28th make sure everything is legit then have one over nighted make sure i have the money that is Cable internet with power boost is a must
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

The Mac Pro line is likely to be updated soon. If you really want one of those, I'd wait a while.
Honestly, you would be just fine with a 27" iMac quad core i5 or i7. For what you'd pay for a Mac Pro, you could get a new iMac now and another one the next time they update the iMacs. But it's your money, so it's up to you.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« renaming a desktop icon | update to 10.6.4?? »