New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Anyway Of Finding Properties On Files?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Syze

Syze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 500GB HD, 8GB RAM, 32GB iPhone 4S Black, 32GB iPod Touch

I've recently switched from a PC to a Mac and transferred over a lot of video files. I had information on the videos in the properties but can't access that on a Mac. Is there any way? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Try Right Click, 'Get Info'.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Where did you set the properties? NTFS had some extra "stuff" for media that was only available in NTFS. So if you tried to copy it to a fat32 partition the properties would be lost. Same would be true if you copied them to your Mac.

So I have a NTFS hard drive that I can mount on my Mac - I can't see any of the titles, times, comments, etc from the Mac - but if I mount it on the windows partition(boot camp or parallels) all the data is still there.

If it isn't an NTFS thing then you'll probably have to provide more info.
QUOTE Thanks
Syze

Get Info shows nothing. They were just mp4 files, with things filled in under comments.
QUOTE Thanks
Citizen Bleys

Citizen Bleys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard

Try going into a terminal in the folder containing the files and type "ls -l -F"; the properties will be listed with "rwx" for Read, Write, and Execute; the first three options are for the file owner, the second for the group, the third for everyone else, so you'll see something like rwxr-xr-x meaning the owner can do anything, and everyone else can read and execute the file.

"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone" ~ Bjarne Stroustrup, father of the C++ programming language
QUOTE Thanks
Syze

I'm a complete novice, how do I open the terminal file?
QUOTE Thanks
Citizen Bleys

Citizen Bleys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard

In your Mac HD, go into Applications (or there should be an Applications folder already on your dock if you've got Snow Leopard), then Utilities, then Terminal.

You'll have to get used to navigating the command line; changing directories is the same as it was under DOS, so "cd {directory name}" to drill down and "cd .." to go up one level.

The ls command is the equivalent of DIR; I've forgotten what the -l and -F switches stand for, I just do ls -l -F --color every time

"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone" ~ Bjarne Stroustrup, father of the C++ programming language
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

Also when I had Finder issues, someone mentioned a program called Easyfind (free) It's a great app, but there are also many other programs finder replacements.. Googling will find some free or pay.. I'm not sure tho you might have lost your comments tho unless you have the originals and you might be able to find a way to salvage them.

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hello! | please help »