New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Get more years out of applecare

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jhaller

jhaller is on a distinguished road

Hello, I recently switched to a MAC and purchased the applecare. I have not activated it yet so I am wondering. My MAC came with a 1 yr warranty already so if I don't activate my applecare until later this year will the Applecare start at the time I register it since I'm still under my standard 1yr warranty? Or does the Applecare somehow know when I purchased the macbook pro and start from there?

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The extended Applecare starts at the time of purchase of the machine and extends the standard 12 month warranty. There is no advantage to waiting to register it.

The disadvantage is that if you somehow forget to register the extended warranty until after the original 12 months are up, you will be out of luck.

The advantage to registering is that your free phone help begins immediately.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Citizen Bleys

Citizen Bleys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard

I suspect, based on my experience so far, that the Mac user community is probably a better resource than AppleCare anyways, unless you have a strong preference for dealing with things over the phone.

"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone" ~ Bjarne Stroustrup, father of the C++ programming language
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
I suspect, based on my experience so far, that the Mac user community is probably a better resource than AppleCare anyways, unless you have a strong preference for dealing with things over the phone.
True.

Unless it's a hardware issue that needs to get serviced or replaced. :]

We are number one though.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
jhaller

jhaller is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback and such fast responses!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Like punting on the horses really! If you think you are on a winner don't take up Applecare. If you are concerned there maybe a little slip, and there are plenty with computers, take up Applecare today.

Depends how lucky, or unlucky, you feel.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I'm gonna be that guy... Plus, you didn't buy a MAC. You bought a Mac. MAC is an third party warranty service. A Mac, is a type of personal computer, aka: a PC.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Citizen Bleys

Citizen Bleys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard

MAC is also a form of network addressing used at Layer 2 of the OSI model

"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone" ~ Bjarne Stroustrup, father of the C++ programming language
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

iNAP has a spectacular aura about

Apple care has saved me thousands thru the years(hardware issue) sometimes letting them repair or replace something takes weeks but well worth it.and it is (as said) good from the date of purchase, not activation.

www.idadgraphics.com
I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
thank you MacForums and all it's members
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

iNAP has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
I'm gonna be that guy... Plus, you didn't buy a MAC. You bought a Mac. MAC is an third party warranty service. A Mac, is a type of personal computer, aka: a PC.

Doug
MAC is "a" ......... not an lol

www.idadgraphics.com
I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
thank you MacForums and all it's members
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Disc won't show up or eject from new mac | Help: How to format cdrw for read/write »