New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Moving files from folder to folder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marin

marin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 4GB/250GB 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor running Mac OS X 10.6.3

When I switched over my music files from my PC to my mac, I had them put in some different folders.

Some files are under 'Music'; others are under Music > iTunes. I would love to get all of my music files under iTunes, or simply under Music. How do I move all of them from one file to another? In PC, you would highlight all the files, and click and drag them. Is that how you do it in Mac?

I was wondering if there was an operation where I could have the computer select all MP3 files present on the computer, and then move them all to a selected location. It seems I am missing some songs I had on my PC, but I can't find where they are.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

It really depends on what version of OSX you're running.

For instance, I'm on 10.6.4.
I can open Finder, click in the search window (upper right corner of the Finder window), and type "mp3". It will find all files with mp3 in the file name. Be sure you have selected your entire hard drive to search through. You can find that in the far left column. When you click on the file, at the bottom of Finder it shows you where that file is located.
If I were you, I'd decide on one location for all your music then find all your mp3's, highlight the ones you want to move to that specific location you decided on and just drag them... there's a couple methods to drag. You can open another Finder window and go to the folder you want to drag everything to, then drag from one window to another. OR once you've highlighted everything, drag the files to the left column over your name and hold it there or ever-so-slightly move the mouse back and forth. Then it will open the directory under your name, while still holding down the mouse or trackpad button, keep dragging to the next folder and the next folder until you've drilled down to where you want them to go. It's not as difficult as it sounds with a little practice.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin View Post
In PC, you would highlight all the files, and click and drag them. Is that how you do it in Mac?
Yes. The only difference might be that you'll want to have both the source and target folders open before you start dragging, unless you're familiar with spring-loaded folder action.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Yes. The only difference might be that you'll want to have both the source and target folders open before you start dragging, unless you're familiar with spring-loaded folder action.
MUCH more elegantly said than my long ramblings!
I need an editor to summarize my posts.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to Mac and in need of suggestions | 27" iMac »