New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

External harddrive incompatible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thrillhouse85

Thrillhouse85 is an unknown at this point

I have a 1.5TB external HDD from Western Digital which I bought recently and have a lot of stuff on. I can access the files and put them onto my Mac, but for some reason it won't let me copy/cut and paste things from my Mac onto my harddrive. Any ideas as to why this is? It's quite frustrating, and doesn't happen with my PC!
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

It is likely that the drive is formatted with the NTFS file system, which Mac OS X can read, but not write to. You'll need to have your drive formatted in FAT32 for it to work with both a Mac and a PC.
QUOTE Thanks
Thrillhouse85

Gotcha.

...How do I go about doing that?
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Open up Disk Utilities in your Applications Utilities folder and then select your external hard drive and under the Erase tab pick the format you want and then click on erase. Make sure to backup anything you want to save on the drive before doing so because it will all be deleted.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What version of OSX are you running? If 10.6 Snow Leopard, there is a way to enable full Read/Write support for NTFS.
QUOTE Thanks
Thrillhouse85

I have Snow Leopard... Brand new MacBook Pro 2.66GHz.

Is there a way to do that without deleting all the info?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Yes. Download and install the free NTFS Mounter. As dtravis pointed out it will turn on NTFS read - write support in Snow Leopard.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Forgot all about NTFS Mounter.

I was going to show him the terminal command. Thanks Chscag for that! I can't believe I forgot that little utility.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
You are not the only one.
QUOTE Thanks
joeyd161

joeyd161 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post

I was going to show him the terminal command. Thanks Chscag for that! I can't believe I forgot that little utility.
Would you be able to post the terminal commands? I'm new to the mac world & knowing more commands wouldnt hurt

15" Macbook Pro i7
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

10.6: Enable native NTFS read/write support - Mac OS X Hints

I would still use NTFS mounter just because it's easy and there is no chance for an mistake at the command prompt.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Solitaire | ViaCAD Won't load on new iMac »