New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do i change the default WiFi to a new one?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bahja

Bahja can only hope to improve

Ok, i am back in the UK for a week or it could be 6 months. I have had my MBP 15" since last nov and this is the first time i have been on a quick connection with it as at my home in Thailand i use 2 G dongle

I now have a quick as **** WiFi connection where i will be staying n Scotland. The default connection is still the old 2G dongle, obviously i have the key for the WiFi connection i am on.

I have got the box ticked so that i connect automatically to the WiFi in the house, but any time i close the lid and put it to sleep, then wake it up again, sometimes it asks me for the key again.

This is a very minor problem, in fact it's not even a real problem, but i am very NOT good at anything to do with computers, so i would like to both learn how to change my MBP so the WiFi i am on my default connection...................and the biggest reason i ask this question is i am very paranoid about messing about with settings as i did that with my last PC laptop and buggered it up completely and for the 3 years i had it it never worked properly because of me.

So any advice is welcome gents and ladies..........

A new MacBook Pro user as of oct 09 and loving it!! Sorry for the stupid questions i am asking as i know you will have been asked them a million times before
QUOTE Thanks
Bahja

Worked it out myself with out blowing up the west coast of Scotland!!!

A new MacBook Pro user as of oct 09 and loving it!! Sorry for the stupid questions i am asking as i know you will have been asked them a million times before
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahja View Post
Worked it out myself with out blowing up the west coast of Scotland!!!

Please share what you did so it could help out others who may be having the same problem!

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

CoconutWiFi works pretty good for me for monitoring and switching to other WiFi networks... And it's FREE!!!!

coconut-flavour.com - [coconutWiFi v2.0]

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
Bahja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
Please share what you did so it could help out others who may be having the same problem!
Drank 18 shots of Whiskey................

Ermmmm, i went into system preferences> network, then deleted all the other WiFi spots from around the World that my MBP and it seems that the house WiFi is now my default.

QUOTE Thanks
Kaham

Kaham is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahja View Post
Ermmmm, i went into system preferences> network, then deleted all the other WiFi spots from around the World that my MBP and it seems that the house WiFi is now my default.
That's one way to solve it . The downside of this approach is that you lose all your other WiFi network-data. So for next time, you can also change the order of the WiFi list.

Under System Preferences -> Network -> Select Airport from the list -> Advanced... and then in the list of Preferred networks, move them in the order you wish to use them. When trying to connect, OSX will try them first to last, depending on availability.
QUOTE Thanks
Bahja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaham View Post
That's one way to solve it . The downside of this approach is that you lose all your other WiFi network-data. So for next time, you can also change the order of the WiFi list.

Under System Preferences -> Network -> Select Airport from the list -> Advanced... and then in the list of Preferred networks, move them in the order you wish to use them. When trying to connect, OSX will try them first to last, depending on availability.
Thanks a lot. I am a very simple user on my MBP compared to you guys judging by the posts on here.

I like simple when it comes to computers as i am not that good with them and don't use them for much other than looking about online, downloading music, and sending Emails. That's about it.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery use... which is it? | Disc space »