New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Sleep vs. shut down

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HonestIllusion

HonestIllusion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Getting a Macbook Pro i7 in June. I also own an iPhone 3GS.

I'm going to leave my MBP plugged in over night. Should I let it sleep, or actually shut it down when I go to bed?

Don't know what I'm supposed to say, but I keep speaking these words anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

I never shut down my Mac Pro Dual-Core Intel Xeon…I just tuck it in and let it sleep all night. I've been doing this for years without the first problem. I'm one who believes the peaceful, gentle nudge to wake the Mac in the morning is less stressful than the shocking "BONG – IT"S MORNING…WAKE UP AND GET AT IT!" The only time I shut down is if I'm leaving town for a couple of days.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

I agree. There is no reason to shut down the laptop during the night. It won't wear your computer down or cause it harm.

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Depends how high you want your electric bill to be.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
plaztikrhino

plaztikrhino is on a distinguished road

I would think this depends on if you want to wait for the machine to have to boot up or be readily available.

2010 13.3" MBP, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, NVIDIA 320M
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
This is a fairly ridiculous answer -- a sleeping Mac using almost no power, and a completely shut-off Mac uses about the same amount (yes, a shut-down Mac that is still plugged in continues to draw a trickle of power!).

The total difference in your electric bill over the course of a year of doing it one way or the other would amount to no more than $1's worth of power.

Apple themselves suggest that their computers are designed to be put to sleep when not in use UNLESS you will be leaving it alone for a prolonged period. I've always found that its generally best to do as Apple advises until you find a good reason not to.
Wow, sarcasm. Can't detect it huh?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Kamina

Kamina has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac i5 27", MacBook Air 2010 13"

The night is long, and I think that some hours off is good for ANY device.
As others said a Mac can be totally fine with sleeping...but i always turn it off when i go to bed. During the day i usually just close it and let it sleep.
QUOTE Thanks
HonestIllusion

HonestIllusion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Getting a Macbook Pro i7 in June. I also own an iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
As others said a Mac can be totally fine with sleeping...but i always turn it off when i go to bed. During the day i usually just close it and let it sleep.
That's what I was thinking.

Don't know what I'm supposed to say, but I keep speaking these words anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
Plus one for this method
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
The total difference in your electric bill over the course of a year of doing it one way or the other would amount to no more than $1's worth of power.
Great article on this, plus more:
Homes waste watts of power, study finds - JSOnline
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Great article on this, plus more:
Homes waste watts of power, study finds - JSOnline
He's talking about Macs, not a collection of random electronics from some study.

A modern Mac will not waste "watts" of power. It will "waste" a watt or so. Which, over the course of a year, will add up to a dollar or two (US) of power.
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |

I just let mine sleep. For a little while I shut it down nightly and it seemed more sluggish the following day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Here is a decent blog post on what a relatively modern mac draws.
David Alison's Blog: Power off or sleep at night?

Check out the chart in the middle generated off of his APC backup battery
In sleep mode - 0 watts used, 0% battery load and 785 minutes for battery backup

Don't forget that your hard drive gets accessed a lot when you boot your computer - so you are putting wear and tear that you may not need to on your hdd. (Hence the faster boot up times from SSD drives, and since there are no moving parts and you are mainly reading it may be a moot point for SSD based computers)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I don't think it really matters since a modern Mac computer, whether it's a notebook or desktop uses negligible amounts of power. Like Technologist said, it might amount to a dollar or so a year.

Now having said that.... if you live in an area where severe weather moves fast and the likelihood of thunderstorms and lightening is great, (Texas and Florida are good examples) I highly recommend powering down and remove the AC adapter. Even an UPS is not sufficient for protection during a severe lightening storm.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

Mines powered on 24/7 and "sleeps" when I don't use it. 5 years doing this, I've never had a problem nor have I seen any fluctuation in my power bill except for the rate rises!

Personal choice is all I say.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Text Messaging Over Screen Sharing | website issue »