New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Restoring a new mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HonestIllusion

HonestIllusion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Getting a Macbook Pro i7 in June. I also own an iPhone 3GS.

I just bought a Mac from someone that was 5 days old. I want to restore it so that I can start fresh. I inserted the disc, restarted and held C. It gave me the option to install Mac OSX and now it's doing it... but it didn't say anything about wiping the hard drive clean and restoring to factory settings. The guy that sold it to me said that I wanted to choose the option to completely restore and not keep any of the old data.

So did I do something wrong? It says it will take 50 minutes to install OSX... am I just going to have to wait it out and start over?

Don't know what I'm supposed to say, but I keep speaking these words anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Wait until finished then see what the set-up is.

If the old data is still there try installing again, and choose the erase and install option

Installing OS X 10.5 Leopard - Choosing Leopard Installation Options

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
HonestIllusion

HonestIllusion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Getting a Macbook Pro i7 in June. I also own an iPhone 3GS.

Yeah I just read the manual like I should have done to begin with. It mentions that I want to use the utility to erase the hard drive and then install the OS. Sorry for the premature post but thanks for the response. I guess I have to play the waiting game.

Don't know what I'm supposed to say, but I keep speaking these words anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

This post may be a bit late, but there's not really any need to erase the drive, especially on one that's only five days old. Just erase his user account (if he still has one on the Mac, that is) and you should be fine. This isn't Windows where your computer will get bogged down by all kinds of junk from normal use. Just plug it in and enjoy!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Seeing photo thumbnails on covers of folders? | Looking for A/V hub for mac to sony hdr-ax-2000 camera »