New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MBP Speakers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HonestIllusion

HonestIllusion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Getting a Macbook Pro i7 in June. I also own an iPhone 3GS.

I'm buying a MBP 15" today and I'd like to buy a pair of stereo speakers for it. When setting this up at my desk, I will have my Mackie powered monitors. But if I'm out of town or something and I want to play a game, I'd like to hook up some small speakers. I'm wanting to spend $100 max or less if possible. I'd like them to sound as good as possible given the price. Oh and if possible, it would be great if I could purchase them at an Apple store, but if I have to buy them online to get the best deal for the money... I will.

Suggestions?

Don't know what I'm supposed to say, but I keep speaking these words anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
dolceone

dolceone is an unknown at this point

Why not a headset? I know a couple of good ones for 100 bucks :-)
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

The speakers aren't too bad on the MBP - but like all small speakers they are missing the low range. You could try this
BassJump Subwoofer - BassJump Subwoofer - Twelve South
Twelvesouth BassJump | Audio | Mac|Life | Mac|Life
$79
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Are you planning on playing a game in OSX or in Windows via bootcamp?

If windows, you may want to look at something like a logitech G35 which if you shop around you can get for right around $100, or a Razor gaming headest.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
HonestIllusion

Probably gaming on both OSX and Windows... but the more I can do in OSX the better. Meaning if a game is available for both, I'd rather use OSX.

QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Yeah, I don't blame you. There are only a few games I still play on the windows side, but I'm trying to wean myself off of them (only kinda successful really).

Myself, I'm still a fan of having a headset so not everyone in the general area can hear / is annoyed by what I'm doing

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Check out Soundsticks II IMO they're very decent budget speakers. Perhaps a tad more than $100 but worth the extra coin IMO.

Amazon.com: Used and New: Harman Kardon SoundSticks II 2.1 Plug and Play Multimedia Speaker System
QUOTE Thanks
HonestIllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Check out Soundsticks II IMO they're very decent budget speakers. Perhaps a tad more than $100 but worth the extra coin IMO.

Amazon.com: Used and New: Harman Kardon SoundSticks II 2.1 Plug and Play Multimedia Speaker System
I think I saw those on the Apple.com store. Do you think they sell them in the store?

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestIllusion View Post
I think I saw those on the Apple.com store. Do you think they sell them in the store?
Well, I know for a fact that Apple Authorized dealers sell them, but you'd be well advised to stay away from them OR from Apple when making such a purchase, as the price of said item will likely be significantly more. A quick search at Apple's online store reveals: Harman Kardon SoundSticks II - Apple Store (U.S.)

So if you're desperate to get them from Apple, there ya go.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
texast

texast is on a distinguished road

Get a pair of M-Audio AV 40, you will not be disappointment in the sound quality. If you look hard enough you could get them for a little over your budget.
QUOTE Thanks
mikeyc29

mikeyc29 is on a distinguished road

creative labs gigaworks t-40 were pretty good for size
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 17" PowerBook vs 20" iMac | MBP i7 and 1080p? »