New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Multiuser (PC now MACPro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bentotzky

bentotzky is on a distinguished road

Hello All,
I've been a pc user for almost 25 years now. Last week I purchased a new MacPro Notebook (on impulse), and I'm liking it, but I am struggling in finding my ways around the MacPro.. can someone point me in the right direction on ..

1) How to change the network working group? Currently, the default is WORKGROUP. The reason i am asking is because my other pc's are under a different working group and I don't want to change the macpro working group name.

2) I installed MSOffice 2008 mac version and i want to uninstall it. How do you uninstall?

3) How do you use the time capsule?

4) In PC there's a SYSTEM RESTORE POINT. How do you create a system restore point in MacPro notebook.

Thanks in advance..and thanks for your patience

"Knowledge is POWER never stop learning!"
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Hi!

Welcome to the forums. I can't answer all of your questions but...

So you know - your comp is a Macbook Pro - not a Mac Pro - there's a big difference - the MBP is (as you know ) a laptop using C2D, Ci5 or Ci7 processors, where as the Mac Pro is a workstation class tower using xeon based processors with the multiple expansion slots, ability to support multiple GPU cards, more RAM, etc.

For #1 - go to Preferences, Network, Advanced, WINS - fill in the workgroup

For #2 - Check this site: In Mac OS X, how do I uninstall Microsoft Office? - Knowledge Base it has where to find the file to uninstall.

For #3 I can't answer, I don't use a timecapsule, I just use a USB drive for my time machine.

For #4 - AFAIK there is not direct comparison product - from what I understand, OSX doesn't support that sort of a feature at this point (restore points) - but you can create bootable backups of your system using a tool like CCC and just create a new image before you install something risky.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

2) In Mac OS X, how do I uninstall Microsoft Office? - Knowledge Base
3) You should be able to plug the time capsule into the MBP, then in settings enable Time Machine and it should find the time capsule and start using it.
4) Once you have Time machine setup, you will have hourly/daily/weekly backups that you can revert to at any time.

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Lol, beat ya on the link Raz0rEdge

I honestly only use TM to store my data to recover from disaster rather then using it equivalent to restore points so I never think about it in that light.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

@Nethfel, this pesky thing called work interfered with my quick posting!

I use a NAS as my Time Machine storage..but I'm guessing the Time Capsule is probably easier..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Bentotsky, Time Capsule is basically a wireless external hard drive combined with an Airport Extreme base station. Keep in mind that you don't HAVE to use Time Capsule, any external drive will work with the Time Machine application on your Mac. Just so you know. Some people think that only other Apple products will work with Apple software.

Once your drive is detected by your Mac, you'll get a message asking if you want to use it as your Time Machine backup. Just click yes and it will automatically start backing up your system. If there are folders you want to exclude, you'll have the option to choose which of them you DON'T want backed up.

If you ever need to recover a missing file you can open Time Machine and restore just the one file. If you need to restore your entire hard drive, you can do that too. It creates a backup every hour so it's actually much better than having to set a restore point if you ask me.
QUOTE Thanks
bentotzky

Thanks

My friend let me borrow here Office 2008 for mac and i installed it without registering it, but is telling me that the license reached the maximum user so i tried to uninstall it by dragging the application folder to the trash bin. Was this sufficient solution to take to remove the application? bec. the reading material provided i think that I drag the entire office 2008 folder in the trash bin.

sheesh.. this is so frustrating.. i'm a techy guy but this is frustrating adopting to a new environment.. "Who Move The Cheese!" lol

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentotzky View Post
Thanks

My friend let me borrow here Office 2008 for mac and i installed it without registering it, but is telling me that the license reached the maximum user so i tried to uninstall it by dragging the application folder to the trash bin. Was this sufficient solution to take to remove the application? bec. the reading material provided i think that I drag the entire office 2008 folder in the trash bin.

sheesh.. this is so frustrating.. i'm a techy guy but this is frustrating adopting to a new environment.. "Who Move The Cheese!" lol
Just dragging the folder to the trash is not sufficient. These are the instructions from the link provided:
Microsoft Office 2004 and 2008
To find the Remove Office tools, open the Microsoft Office 2004 folder or the Microsoft Office 2008 folder, and then open the Additional Tools folder.

For instructions, read the Read Me file in the Remove Office folder.

When you run Remove Office, it will allow you to remove installations of Microsoft Office 98 through 2008 as well as related preferences and system files. Once you have run the program, it places the removed Office components in the Trash.

There is an actual "tool" you have to run to fully uninstall MS Office.

Note, it is a violation of the EULA to borrow your friend's software and install it on your machine. They have trial versions on the respective websites for you to do just that. Sharing licenses is not legal and we don't discuss such activity on the forums. Ok? Mac-Forums.com - Announcements in Forum : News and Community Announcements

You've only been using OSX for a week or two. It'll probably take a good month or more to really get familiar with all the ins-and-outs. But sounds like you have the basics already down. You'll get there.
Don't forget to visit Apple's support page on their website for tips and tutorials for switchers and Mac OSX basics.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Just dragging the folder to the trash is not sufficient. These are the instructions from the link provided:
Microsoft Office 2004 and 2008
To find the Remove Office tools, open the Microsoft Office 2004 folder or the Microsoft Office 2008 folder, and then open the Additional Tools folder.

For instructions, read the Read Me file in the Remove Office folder.

When you run Remove Office, it will allow you to remove installations of Microsoft Office 98 through 2008 as well as related preferences and system files. Once you have run the program, it places the removed Office components in the Trash.

There is an actual "tool" you have to run to fully uninstall MS Office.

Note, it is a violation of the EULA to borrow your friend's software and install it on your machine. They have trial versions on the respective websites for you to do just that. Sharing licenses is not legal and we don't discuss such activity on the forums. Ok? Mac-Forums.com - Announcements in Forum : News and Community Announcements

You've only been using OSX for a week or two. It'll probably take a good month or more to really get familiar with all the ins-and-outs. But sounds like you have the basics already down. You'll get there.
Don't forget to visit Apple's support page on their website for tips and tutorials for switchers and Mac OSX basics.
Not if it's one of the multi-license copies it isn't.
QUOTE Thanks
bentotzky

How do i get this info "Mac Specs: 15" MBPro (mid 2008) 200GB 7200 RPM, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 256mb GeForce 8600M GT" (got it from your profile)

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
Ok, my bad. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentotzky View Post
How do i get this info "Mac Specs: 15" MBPro (mid 2008) 200GB 7200 RPM, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 256mb GeForce 8600M GT" (got it from your profile)
Click on the  in the upper left, click on About This Mac, and then click on More Info. Tells you all about what is in your Mac.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

To get your specs, click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of the menu bar and choose "About This Mac". The Apple Menu is also where you get software updates and access your System Preferences. The menu bar changes every time you switch apps EXCEPT for this Apple Menu, which is always the same no matter what application you're using.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
Yes, it is, unless the friend in question is a live-in friend.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Yes, it is, unless the friend in question is a live-in friend.
No, it's not. He paid for 3 licenses. He can gift one of them all he wants.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

As usual the MS EULA is about as easy to understand as ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphics.

The Home and Student version box contains three license keys which means each key can be installed on one desktop and one portable computer. That yields six installs. (non networked)

What's hard to determine is if that means in the same household, same family, same apartment, same dorm room, or what?

Anyway, here's the link to the MVPS org which explains the EULA.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« On the fence Newbie, Looking into going for 100% mac | Mouse not scroling down »