New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Issue with "Go To Folder:" Box

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacShane

MacShane has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Gen1 15"MBP-R 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.2

After being fed up with Windows for quite some time, now, I finally made the switch about a month ago and couldn't be happier. I'm already much more comfortable in Mac than I ever was in Windows. Shoulda done this YEARS ago! I don't care who says that I've sold my soul to Steve Jobs. Macs simply work better.

at any rate, there is one thing that kind of has me bugged a little bit - the "Go To Folder:" box. While by it's name, I can't expect it to do more than exactly what it says, is there way to open an application or a document from it, by typing in the text? Whereas in Windows' equivalent, I could type a path to a folder and include the document I wanted out of that folder, and have it open, OR simply type the name of an application I wanted and have that open, it seems you can't do that in Mac.

Is there any way to open applications or documents from the "Go To Folder" box or is there any other shortcut - keyboard or otherwise - I can use to open these items? Call me lazy, but I would rather just type the name of what I want, hit enter and have it open, instead of having to click on the apps folder and look through a list, before finding it and clicking on it to have it open.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Instead of using the Go To Folder shortcut, simply type the name of the app or doc in the Spotlight box (magnifier at top right side of menu bar) - don't even need the path there - hit enter and it will open up for you.

'Command' + 'space' will open the Spotlight window with a cursor ready to type.
As soon as the one you want is highlighted in the field, press enter - or you can then scroll to one of the other items it found.

For those that like keyboard shortcuts - here's a pretty nice list - link.

But yes, the gotofolder shortcut simply does what it's name implies.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Instead of using the Go To Folder shortcut, simply type the name of the app or doc in the Spotlight box (magnifier at top right side of menu bar) - don't even need the path there - hit enter and it will open up for you.
That's nifty, for sure. Here's why I don't find it useful: I "back up" every important file every time I alter it. Technically, it's not a backup. I copy my files to a flash drive. It's really quick, and there are some days that go by without any files being edited. Usually, if I do work with any files, I only need to do my coping once, but sometimes I'll do it twice in the same day.

But, the Spotlight trick could be very useful for others. I need the folder to be open anyway, so I just go directly to the folder, not the file.
QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

MacShane has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Gen1 15"MBP-R 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post

'Command' + 'space' will open the Spotlight window with a cursor ready to type.
As soon as the one you want is highlighted in the field, press enter - or you can then scroll to one of the other items it found.

For those that like keyboard shortcuts - here's a pretty nice list - link.

But yes, the gotofolder shortcut simply does what it's name implies.
Thanks a million! That is almost exactly what I was looking for. Hadn't gotten around to reading about the Spotlight feature, yet, but that works almost perfectly. I say "almost" because it doesn't quite have the pinpoint accuracy of typing out the path to a document, but it is a dang handy feature.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
That's nifty, for sure. Here's why I don't find it useful: I "back up" every important file every time I alter it. Technically, it's not a backup. I copy my files to a flash drive. It's really quick, and there are some days that go by without any files being edited. Usually, if I do work with any files, I only need to do my coping once, but sometimes I'll do it twice in the same day.
So exclude your backup drive from Spotlight.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShane View Post
Hadn't gotten around to reading about the Spotlight feature, yet, but that works almost perfectly. I say "almost" because it doesn't quite have the pinpoint accuracy of typing out the path to a document, but it is a dang handy feature.
If you know the file name, or most of it, it's just as accurate as typing the path to it, only you don't have to know all that, or type it. In other words, it's better! Hope it works for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
So exclude your backup drive from Spotlight.
What? My "backup" drive is a removable flash drive. It never shows up in Spotlight, because I wouldn't have it "mounted" when I use Spotlight. My point was I don't want to open files without opening the folders they are in, because as soon as I'm done editing, I drag and drop the files onto the flash drive. But, for others who don't use my weird "backup" method, the Spotlight trick could be very useful indeed.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Or open up terminal, type open /file/path/here
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My point was I don't want to open files without opening the folders they are in, because as soon as I'm done editing, I drag and drop the files onto the flash drive. But, for others who don't use my weird "backup" method, the Spotlight trick could be very useful indeed.
Sorry, I misunderstood your issue.

Anyway, it's not necessary to have the parent folder of a document open to make a copy of it. Once you have the document open (through Spotlight, or however) just option-drag the proxy icon from the window's title bar to your target volume.
QUOTE Thanks
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.06 c2d, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShane View Post
T I say "almost" because it doesn't quite have the pinpoint accuracy of typing out the path to a document, but it is a dang handy feature.
Position your mouse pointer over one of the spotlight choices and the path will appear.

Larry
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
it's not necessary to have the parent folder of a document open to make a copy of it. Once you have the document open (through Spotlight, or however) just option-drag the proxy icon from the window's title bar to your target volume.
Thanks for that tip. I didn't know that. New in OS X I presume. (I skipped 10 to 10.4) It will also move the file to another folder on the same volume, but appears not to copy.

But, more cold water: The fact that I use Spaces, and have one space dedicated to Finder & flash drive Windows means that I won't find this feature useful either! I can't see the document and the target folder's window at the same time, unless it will work with all spaces in view. But, I'm not sure my eyesight is good enough for that!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

Quote:
But, more cold water: The fact that I use Spaces, and have one space dedicated to Finder & flash drive Windows means that I won't find this feature useful either! I can't see the document and the target folder's window at the same time, unless it will work with all spaces in view. But, I'm not sure my eyesight is good enough for that!
It does work across spaces! You can drag the proxy icon off, and while holding the drag, hit the spaces button, switch to the new space, hold down option, and release the drag to copy. Whew! Might not be practical to use every day, but it makes for a cool demo....

[EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention...you can always command-click on a title bar to open the parent folder (or any of the grandparent folders.)]
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
It does work across spaces! You can drag the proxy icon off, and while holding the drag, hit the spaces button, switch to the new space, hold down option, and release the drag to copy. Whew! Might not be practical to use every day, but it makes for a cool demo....

[EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention...you can always command-click on a title bar to open the parent folder (or any of the grandparent folders.)]
1. Yeah, and if the window is open in the other space, hovering over it causes that space to fill the screen! And I must have used Command instead of Option when trying to Copy yesterday.

2. Slight correction: right click on the Title to open the parent folder, etc. Clicking to the side, on the title bar, gives you other options. I used to use this all the time in OS9 (cmd-click with a one-button mouse) but now that it's easier with a two-button mouse, I rarely use it. Go figure! I have even used cmd-click more often. Old habits die slowly!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:

But, the Spotlight trick could be very useful for others. I need the folder to be open anyway, so I just go directly to the folder, not the file.
Not to get too far off topic here, but it sounds as though you would really appreciate dropbox. It automatically backs up a revision of your document to the cloud any time you save.

A free account gives you 2 GB:
DropBox vs iDisk- it’s not even a contest Jetplane Journal
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

I think the OP's issue was addressed.
DropBox looks interesting. I'll download it and see how it looks.
I also dump my flash drives onto IDrive online storage. I'm at less than .5GB now.
That includes archive folders too!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Bootcamp and The Sims 2 ??? | How to find OS version »