Newbie with a ' Doh! ' question.

Specs:
    13" Macbook pro 2010 version.
    Smile Newbie with a ' Doh! ' question.
    Hi all at mac forums. I have just purchased a macbook pro 13" and thought it would be a good idea to start backing things up a bit more often. I then bought a time capsule which I thought seemed like just the feller for the job.I now find that the TC is much more than just a backup drive and I can use it as a wireless router.My question,dim though it may be is ,does this make my linksys router redundant? and can I use th TC with my mac wirelessly and my PC via ethernet cable? P.S. the PC is on borrowed time now we have the Mac.

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Well, I wouldn't throw away the Linksys, but if you have the TC setup correctly, it's not needed. And yes, you can connect your PC via ethernet while your new MBP is connected wireless. Time Machine will "see" the TC and use it for automatic backups.

Regards.

Specs:
    13" Macbook pro 2010 version.
    Oh excellent, I will give that a go tomorrow when I have time to spare as I never get this sort of thing right first time. Cheers for the heads up.

Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    You will, of course, have to plug your internet connection (modem) into the back of the TC, and probably will want to run airport utility to set up the time capsule as the main router. Really, it'll take all of 20 seconds to do if it's not set up that way already.

Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    G'day and welcome to the forums.

And remember oldie - there ain't no d'oh questions only d'oh answers sometimes!

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
    You will, of course, have to plug your internet connection (modem) into the back of the TC, and probably will want to run airport utility to set up the time capsule as the main router.
    So you're saying I can't replace my AT&T modem/router with a TC and still connect to my DSL service. Is that right? I'm not a hardware guru.

Specs:
    iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    So you're saying I can't replace my AT&T modem/router with a TC and still connect to my DSL service. Is that right? I'm not a hardware guru.
    No, you'll still need your modem with DSL. I have the same set-up.

l
    Iíll keep it short and sweet ó Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns

Windows, Mac and Bootcamp?? Confused...
    **forum will not let me post a new thread so gonna post question here, hope its ok**

Hi there,

Saw newbie stuff was allowed to be in here and I think I fit in to that!
    I've been a PC user for nearly my whole life and have only recently got a Mac for University when they had discounts going on.

My issue is that at the time of purchase I wanted it all to be Mac and Apple, so when they said do you want Windows on here I was like, if I wanted Windows I would of gone to PC World! NaÔvely as I was at the time I now realise there are some things I still cant figure out on here that I knew how to do on a PC. Most are silly things with iwork etc etc but one that is playing on my mind and is making me kick myself is that if I got Windows I would of been able to play my Sims 2 games on my MacBook laptop.

So my question is can I have Windows as well as the Mac version (don't know what its called)?

I'm thinking NOOOO as it would change the entire style of the MacBook and make it Un-Macich completely, but as I am a newbie I wanted to see if there was another way around it. A tern I came across was Bootcamp, but have no idea what this is.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Sinniti

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by sinniti View Post
    **forum will not let me post a new thread so gonna post question here, hope its ok**

Hi there,

Saw newbie stuff was allowed to be in here and I think I fit in to that!
    I've been a PC user for nearly my whole life and have only recently got a Mac for University when they had discounts going on.

My issue is that at the time of purchase I wanted it all to be Mac and Apple, so when they said do you want Windows on here I was like, if I wanted Windows I would of gone to PC World! NaÔvely as I was at the time I now realise there are some things I still cant figure out on here that I knew how to do on a PC. Most are silly things with iwork etc etc but one that is playing on my mind and is making me kick myself is that if I got Windows I would of been able to play my Sims 2 games on my MacBook laptop.

So my question is can I have Windows as well as the Mac version (don't know what its called)?

I'm thinking NOOOO as it would change the entire style of the MacBook and make it Un-Macich completely, but as I am a newbie I wanted to see if there was another way around it. A tern I came across was Bootcamp, but have no idea what this is.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Sinniti

Not quite sure what you mean by changing the style, but this guide should tell you just about everything you need to know:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/win...ers-guide.html
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information