Thread: New new new

New new new
    Hola,

Bought a refurbished macbook, my first mac. I'm not a complete convert. I enjoy my pc, but I am interested in learning to program for iphone and I didn't have a laptop so it seemed logical.

Anyway, I noticed that MacOs doesn't come with any games like windows *as in solotaire, hearts, etc. These games were convenient time-passers and had online capabilities. Is there anything similar for the mac? A free place or download to play with other mac users?

Thank you =)

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Oh sure.

I like to point people to my pal Carter's site FreeMacApps.com - FreeMacApps.com to load up on free Macware, you're sure to find some card-game type apps there.

As for "online capabilities," all the same sites you might expect in the PC world work fine with Macs for the most part -- Yahoo's game page, Kongregate etc. You need to keep your Flash and Java up-to-date but apart from that they work fine.

For more serious gaming, Steam is now available for the Mac -- I have to admit I don't think much of it but I'm not a hardcore gamer nor do I have the graphic firepower to play the top-end stuff (but I've never quite seen the point in investing THAT MUCH time into a time-waster). And all the usual "social" online MMRPG's like WoW, Second Life, Everquest and so forth work fine with Macs.

What little gaming I do these days I do on my iPhone (in about two months you can mentally substitute the word "iPad" there) or a dedicated console like the Wii, apart from running MAME on my Mac and playing really old 80s arcade games like Donkey Kong.

Bottom line, though: once you really get into the Mac, you'll find it so enjoyable to do actual productive, profitable activities you may find yourself with a lot less time for "time-passers"!

buy an xbox 360, you won't regret it

Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post

For more serious gaming, Steam is now available for the Mac -- I have to admit I don't think much of it but I'm not a hardcore gamer nor do I have the graphic firepower to play the top-end stuff (but I've never quite seen the point in investing THAT MUCH time into a time-waster). And all the usual "social" online MMRPG's like WoW, Second Life, Everquest and so forth work fine with Macs.
    Hey! I just wanted to comment on Steam for Mac for this poster. If you're a more serious gamer(as in, enjoy pc/console gaming) then Steam is very cool so far. Portal is an amazing game, and Half Life is now available too. Great games are coming down the line too....I have a late 09 Macbook, and it runs these games well....

Besides this poster advice to go to his friends site, appdonkey.com also has lots of games available for macs, a great pac-man emulation, and some great standard card games, etc....Tetris too....great casual titles on appdonkey, steam for the more serious titles!

Thread Information