New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Internet Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

T_O_P12

T_O_P12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S

On my iMac the internet crawls and works real slow and half the time pages won't load because it is timed out but on every other computer in the house(PC's) the internet flies. How can I fix this or what would be some reasons for this, it is really becoming annoying.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Which DNS server(s) are you using? If you're using the one from your ISP try switching to OpenDNS and see if that improves things for you. Scroll down the page for the DNS addresses to use.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
T_O_P12

I am having a problem that is beginning to drive me crazy on my iMac using both Safari and Firefox. When I go to pnc.com it loads fine but when I punch my ID Numbers in to log in, it never loads and eventually after about 5 minutes of trying to load it says the server is not responding. But when I go use a PC in my house that is connected to the same wireless network, it loads fine and there are no problems, any clue or ideas guys?
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

I don't know exactly what is causing your problem but I do know that with wireless connections the location and other electronic interferences can degrade the quality of your connection. Try placing your iMac in the same location as your Windows machines or try moving your router around and see if that solves the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Test the setup with just the iMac on the network and connected by ethernet to modem. If speed is then Ok then that tells you where to look.
QUOTE Thanks
T_O_P12

It would sort of be a pain to move my iMac to the basement to test this out but does anyone have any ideas why it would be just this one site that does not work? I have zero problems with other sites.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Curious, when you say the site works fine on the PC, which Browser or Browsers are you using there? IE or does Firefox work on the PC also?
QUOTE Thanks
T_O_P12

That uses IE and on my mac I have tried with both Safari and Firefox and neither works
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

I missed the part about it being just one site you are having problems with. Since you are using IE on your Windows machine it could be that the website requires IE to work. Try going to the site using Firefox on your Windows computer.

If that doesn't work then you know it blocks other browsers besides IE. One solution to this problem is in Safari you need to turn on the Developer menu in Safari's preferences under the advanced tab section. Once it's on you can choose to identify Safari as IE in the user agent section. This will work for most websites unless the site requires Active X which is IE only.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Messenger | Battery use... which is it? »