New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

dual screen on an iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johnnyFIVE

johnnyFIVE is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPad & iphone 3G

hey guys im still shopping around for an iMac and may pull the trigger in a few weeks but I did have a concern.

I have had Apple laptops before and dont really remember dual screen working out too well for me. If I get an iMac are there any models w/ cards that are better than others. I am looking to go at least core2duo, do they all have a good output to extend to my 32" Samsung LCD TV so that I could drag over a full screen stuff from Hulu or wherever else onto the TV.

The TV has VGA in, HDMI in, component in and svideo

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyFIVE View Post
I have had Apple laptops before and dont really remember dual screen working out too well for me.
I'm kind of confused by what you said above...or how you said it. Maybe it's "Florida English" Ha ha...just teasing!

Do you or do you not remember if you had issues with your laptop & an external monitor? I know from your other thread that you have a 2008 15" MacBook Pro. Usually the newer MacBook Pros have pretty decent graphics hardware...and work pretty well with external monitors.

It's not like I'm trying to talk you out of getting a newer iMac...but I would hate for you to buy one...hook it up to an external monitor (your 32" LCD TV)...and not get much better performance than your laptop.

Also remember that the performance of streaming stuff like Hulu to your TV is not just related to your computer hardware (MacBook Pro or iMac)...but also related to the speed/bandwidth of your internet connection or how busy the Hulu website is at the time you're streaming.

If you have a cable modem (say through your local cable TV provider)...download speeds can depend on how much demand there is in your area at any one time.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyFIVE

johnnyFIVE is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPad & iphone 3G

I dont have any apple laptops anymore. I got an iPad for work because it makes my life easier. (I am Sales Manager so I dont need a powerful portable computer) the iPad is perfect and is why I got rid of my laptop. I have only had a macbook, and macbook air.

Is it easy to set up the iMac to extended desktop so I can drag the video over to the 2nd screen, my 32" LCD? thats pretty much the question. I dont have very many XP points in dual screen with snow leopard.

lol, florida english.

QUOTE Thanks
jetmech1

jetmech1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB

My 20" iMac worked wonderfully with my Dell 24" wide screen LCD monitor. No problems at all. The extended desktop was very nice. All you need is the adapter that plugs into your iMac. Dual monitors worked better on my iMac than on my Dell XPS.

Mac Mini - 2.5 GHz i5 - 8 GB - 128 GB SSD & 1 TB HD - 2 Apple 23" LCD
15.4" Unibody MBP - 2 MacBook Airs
2 iPads, 3 iPhones, 3 iPods, 1 Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« rosetta? | NewB nuff said »