New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

worried switcher

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

murse13

murse13 is on a distinguished road

I broke down yesterday and bought my 13" MBP. I have to say that it is true what they say about a learning curve, because I am def experiencing that now. I am looking for some reassurance here from people that have been in my shoes. I have been a PC guy since I can remember, but the mac look is a lot different it terms of manipulating things for me now. I am first seeing that the "right click" function that gets you anywhere and everywhere with a pc is lost in the mac.

Worries: I am for the most part using the computer for school, with papers and project. the school threatened me that they are a pc friendly campus, but i was reluctant and got a mac. I am stuck betweem iWork and MS Office. I have read numerous articles but i want advice from students in my position. which should I go with? I just dont know....

Also i bought the one-to-one, should i schedule an appointment just to allow them to sit down with me and show me things it may take longer for me to figure out? I am sure with enough tinkering I can figure it out, but for the time being its frustrating. All help is appreciated in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyFIVE

johnnyFIVE is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPad & iphone 3G

the one to one might be a good idea to get you up to speed quicker.

I prefer iWork over office, with iWork you can save stuff in office format (.doc, .xls, etc...).

Just dont get frustrated once you get the hang of it youll like it more as I do and all the other switchers on this board do.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by murse13 View Post
I broke down yesterday and bought my 13" MBP. I have to say that it is true what they say about a learning curve, because I am def experiencing that now. I am looking for some reassurance here from people that have been in my shoes. I have been a PC guy since I can remember, but the mac look is a lot different it terms of manipulating things for me now. I am first seeing that the "right click" function that gets you anywhere and everywhere with a pc is lost in the mac.
It's there in OS X too. Enable two-finger tapping for right-click, which is located in System Preferences => Trackpad.

Quote:
Worries: I am for the most part using the computer for school, with papers and project. the school threatened me that they are a pc friendly campus, but i was reluctant and got a mac. I am stuck betweem iWork and MS Office. I have read numerous articles but i want advice from students in my position. which should I go with? I just dont know....
I would go with Office if the school has that requirement. And remember, you can always install Windows if need be. There are several different ways to do it.

Quote:
Also i bought the one-to-one, should i schedule an appointment just to allow them to sit down with me and show me things it may take longer for me to figure out? I am sure with enough tinkering I can figure it out, but for the time being its frustrating. All help is appreciated in advance.
One-to-one is a good resource. I would also recommend this book, which is written in plain English and also in such a way that you won't find it to be boring:

Amazon.com: Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual (9780596153281): David Pogue: Books

Just remember a modern Mac *is* a PC from a hardware standpoint. There's nothing you can do with a Windows machine that you can't do with a Mac, especially since you can run Windows if need be. Give it time and an open mind and you'll be a pro in no time.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Then if u like visual info - some good pointers here.
QUOTE Thanks
murse13

murse13 is on a distinguished road

thanks for all of the help!
QUOTE Thanks
olderandwiser

olderandwiser is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X 10.6 3.o6 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

I have had my mac for a whole day now, and the right click was the first thing I missed. It is a real learning curve alright! I am learning new things all the time though and will hang in there! I don't know how to delete cookies, or user tracks, or even check to see how many I have! Hang it there, if I can, You can!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Learning a new OS is always going to be a little bit of a struggle in the beginning. I was a long time Windows/Linux user that began using a Mac about a year ago and for the first 3-4 months I kept my Linux PC around just so I had a fall back since I was finding a lot of interesting stuff on the Mac. The biggest thing was that I found every task took a lot longer because I was still figuring things out and I wasn't very efficient..

By about 6 months time I had most of the things mastered enough to start using the Mac as my primary machine, and then a year into it I completely switched by getting an i7 iMac..

So stick with it and don't get caught up in the "PC-friendly" crap..as someone who uses all 3 OS' daily..there isn't a single thing (within reason) that you can do on a PC running Windows that I can't do on a Linux machine or my Mac at home..

As far as the documents go, you'll have to stick with whatever is the established format..and if that's Office at your school, that's what you'll have to use..but since Office is available for the Mac, there should be NO reason to believe that the documents it creates are going to be somehow not compatible with Office for Windows..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by murse13 View Post

Right click is not lost. You can either hold control and click, or turn on tap to click and set "two finger right click" in the trackpad preference pane.

One to one is good. You can get through college with OpenOffice. I certainly did. Though, MS Office is nice (2011 beta was anyway, 08 is kind of a pain). iWork is nice too. OpenOffice is free though, and does everything a student needs it to.
QUOTE Thanks
foxj66

foxj66 is on a distinguished road

I like iWork better than Microsoft office, I have both and I find that if i need to share the papers with other students or print them at school I type them with office, But if the paper is only going to be printed off my home printer i do it in iWork. So for school i would say go with office...Or try them both you can download the trial versions of both and give them a try.

2.26 GHz White Unibody,160GB Intel X-25m, 8GB Ram, Mac mini 2.26GHz, 500GB 7200 RPM Hitachi drive, 4GB Ram
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser View Post
I have had my mac for a whole day now, and the right click was the first thing I missed. It is a real learning curve alright! I am learning new things all the time though and will hang in there! I don't know how to delete cookies, or user tracks, or even check to see how many I have! Hang it there, if I can, You can!
- Right click hasn't gone anywhere. It's there, it's just not a physical button. The trackpad on Mac laptops can be set to two-finger right-click. In fact right-click has "been there" in the OS since before Apple started selling their own two-button mice.

- Cookies in Safari? Click 'Safari' at the top, Preferences, Security, Show Cookies, Remove All.
QUOTE Thanks
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.06 c2d, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD

I'm 3 months into my iMac and still learning, but comfortable with OS X. I'm sure after I get a year under my belt, I'll be even more so. With 30 years of MS frustrations, I decided to go whole hog and forget I ever knew Windows. I also switched to iWork and am learning new ways to do what I used to do on my PC. And I love it!!! Not bad for an old man.

Larry
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
I'm 3 months into my iMac and still learning, but comfortable with OS X. I'm sure after I get a year under my belt, I'll be even more so. With 30 years of MS frustrations, I decided to go whole hog and forget I ever knew Windows. I also switched to iWork and am learning new ways to do what I used to do on my PC. And I love it!!! Not bad for an old man.
That's the way to do it. Really, it is. If you're constantly comparing the two, you'll drive yourself nuts.

I've been a "switcher" (I still administer a Microsoft network in my professional life) for 3 years now and I can't tell you how frustrated I get with Windows at times now. When I'm working on my Mac, seldom do I have to wait for anything and that's just not the case on my Windows machines. It's made me so impatient in my work life.

And in that time, I have only found one place where OS X really cedes ground to Windows, and that's in how it handles printers (specifically networked printers). I keep hoping that Apple will some day fix it on a subsequent release, but so far it's been pretty stagnant.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
CLIP...

And in that time, I have only found one place where OS X really cedes ground to Windows, and that's in how it handles printers (specifically networked printers). I keep hoping that Apple will some day fix it on a subsequent release, but so far it's been pretty stagnant.
I found that it was pretty easy to network my printers. I set them up with an IP, they were discovered o the network by OSX and pretty much everything works. I can scan, print and fax, all from my iMac. It was much harder to do all the setup on my wife's business PC.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerich View Post
I found that it was pretty easy to network my printers. I set them up with an IP, they were discovered o the network by OSX and pretty much everything works. I can scan, print and fax, all from my iMac. It was much harder to do all the setup on my wife's business PC.
Try doing it with a printer attached to an external print server. On Windows, it's just a matter of switching ports. On OS X, you're SOL unless you happen to be able to use a Gutenprint driver.

This will eventually be negated by the majority of mainstream printers having network capability built right in. But there's still a lot of USB only printers out there, many of which are being shared from another machine (and in many cases, it's a Windows machine, which adds a degree of complexity).

QUOTE Thanks
weemax

weemax is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 9400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

Fair play to you mate, thats the only way we have to do it

Imac 21.5" 3.06GHz * 16GB iPhone 4 OS5 * No apple knowledge
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leap forward | Another Newbie »