New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Newbie Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shadow_Garden

Shadow_Garden is on a distinguished road

Okay so in the next week or two I plan to buy a MacBook with a 500GB HardDrive but I have a few questions.

I want to partition my hard drive so that it's 250GB running the Mac OS X and 250GB running Windows 7. If I use bootcamp to do this, can I install Window's 7 using a Window's 7 upgrade disc or would I need to have a Window's 7 full installation?

I need it partitioned for my own reasons but that brings my next question

If I do partition my drive 50/50, will I be able to run the window's as a parallel still? or does making it a 50/50 division negate the ability to do that? I'm still know and haven't had to much time to use a Mac so it's taking me a while to figure everything out and youtube video's don't always explain very much. :/
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You would not be eligible for the upgrade version since you would not have a previous version.

Read the stickies in the following forum - may answer some of your questions before you get to far along.

Windows, Classic, Linux, and Other OS - Mac-Forums.com

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
zacharace

zacharace is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Garden View Post
If I do partition my drive 50/50, will I be able to run the window's as a parallel still? or does making it a 50/50 division negate the ability to do that? :/
I assume you mean as a Bootcamp partition? If you partition a drive, as long as Windows has enough space (250GB is plenty), it'll work fine.

If you mean "parallel" as in Parallels Desktop, well, that's another issue...
QUOTE Thanks
Shadow_Garden

Shadow_Garden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You would not be eligible for the upgrade version since you would not have a previous version.

Read the stickies in the following forum - may answer some of your questions before you get to far along.

Windows, Classic, Linux, and Other OS - Mac-Forums.com
Yeah from what I can find, the only legal way to install Window's 7 is to buy the full version. I don't like it but oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharace View Post
I assume you mean as a Bootcamp partition? If you partition a drive, as long as Windows has enough space (250GB is plenty), it'll work fine.

If you mean "parallel" as in Parallels Desktop, well, that's another issue...
I suppose a better way to rephrase that question, if I install Window's 7 on a partition that I created with bootcamp, I know that I'll be able to reboot and use the window's partition, but will I be able to be in Mac OS X and still access/run windows like a parallel? To be honest I have no clue how parallels work.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do you deal with it? | how can i wipe and reinstall the software on my ibook g4? »