New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New User - Software Equivalents

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

glittergal

glittergal is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone. Iím new to the forums and new to the world of Mac. Have just purchased a MacBook Pro. Love it but having used Windows for 15 years or so there are certain pieces of software that I need to find the equivalent of.

Have considered using Bootcamp/Parallels but have decided I just want to use the Mac OS and everything that goes with it.

So if anyone could tell which programmes will do the following it would be a massive help.

I currently use WS-FTP for ftp upload and transfer. Iím not sure if thereís a Mac version. I canít seem to find it. Are there any FTP clients that people would recommend?

On Windows I use PowerDVD to capture still images from DVDs. I know they donít make a Mac version Ė which other programme will allow me to do this. iMovie?

I also use TMPGENC to rip segments from DVDs, just short clips Ė not the whole movie. Which programme would allow me to do this? I donít think I can rip from DVD in iMovie right?

Any help will be appreciated and any cheap or free options would be better given that Iím tight for money after just buying the Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
roeiboot

roeiboot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB061LL/B & iPhone4

welcome..

i use CyberDuck (free) for ftp... works great.

~rb
iPhone 4 /16GB MacBook3,1 iPad my blog
QUOTE Thanks
joster.macedo

joster.macedo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 8-core MacPro

Hi glittergal,

I would suggest the free MPEGStreamclip to clip portions of DVDs. You'll need Apple's MPEG-2 Playback Component though (and this one will cost some).

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac OS X

Joster
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I use FileZilla - Client Download on Windows, Linux and Mac..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

FTP Clients
Fugu
Research Systems Unix Group: Fugu
Flow - I got it with one of the software bundles -it works well
Flow - Mac OS X FTP and SFTP Client
And as suggested cyberduck
Cyberduck | FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Cloud Files & Amazon S3 Browser for Mac OS X | About

VLC is a great media player and can capture images
There is this guide too
How to Take Fullscreen DVD Screen Captures in Mac OS X Using FreeSnap - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

For partial movie - what about handbrake - encode it then edit it?
HandBrake
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

You can't just take a screen shot? Command + **** + 3
QUOTE Thanks
glittergal

glittergal is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have downloaded a few of the programmes suggested and am working with the at the moment. thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

Printerman is a jewel in the roughPrinterman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac10,1, 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 10.8.2, 21.5" screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
You can't just take a screen shot? Command + **** + 3
For the OPís info, the stars was a typo, it was meant to say shift, but I think he left out the f.

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro 13" Add on's | Newbie with a ' Doh! ' question. »