New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do you deal with it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cryo

Cryo is on a distinguished road

First off, some history. This is my very first Mac. A friend of mine wanted some help with his craptop, so he brought it over and I used my computer to look up a few things for him.

Nothing odd so far. Then at work he's mentions the fact that I own an iMac and all of a sudden, I'm "Pretentious" and a "Tech snob". I didn't even say anything about how ****** the XP boxes are at work or why 2 people on my crew had to reformat due to viruses or any easy quip like that.

I was pretty much minding my own biz and now I'm "One of those mac people."

I can't imagine how bad it's going to be when I get an iPad.
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

Printerman is a jewel in the roughPrinterman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac10,1, 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 10.8.2, 21.5" screen.

I just ignore it. It's simple as that, if I ever get one of those people to use a Mac, I will do everything in my power to show them how awesome they are.

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

In one ear and out the other. Or selective hearing however you want to do it.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Cryo

Cryo is on a distinguished road

I guess that's all you can do.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Just tell him, "I might be pretentious, but at least I don't have to get anyone to help me get my Mac working."
QUOTE Thanks
shenfrey

shenfrey is on a distinguished road

They act like that because they know the macs the better product and probably just can't afford it.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Jealousy can be ugly, and it does nothing but make both its object and subject miserable. That's not fair to you, of course, but I just try to ignore it myself. The only other options would just make it worse.
QUOTE Thanks
Snakedoctor

Snakedoctor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.4GHz i5 4GB... iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G

Jealousy, lack of understanding and possibly stupidity...

Sláinte
SD

Don't forget to make use of the reputation system....
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

Hehe I can so relate to this with my guys at work. I have to put up with the same kind of treatment. Selective hearing is good to have.

I don't have to deal with it, because I don't care. If I want to use a Mac, and others wont. Why should I even bother? Its their loss.

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
eddielee

eddielee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4

I just sit back happy in the knowledge that I don't have to fight my computer to do what I want it to. TBH its properly just jealously

Thanks, Eddie
Software Engineering Student, NTU
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

I had the same thing happen, but I'm a techie with 10 years of field experience so my reasons for using aMac are somewhat different. I like the unix like OS and the fact I can use mainstream apps.

Having said that,my brother is a doctor and he has a fellow resident who is into Linux. Well this dude said that once I get over the initial "Apple glee"I'll get frustrated.
Which I don't understand. What am I going to get frustrated about?
I hate to say it, but OSX is superior to Linux in every detail.
QUOTE Thanks
caulktel

caulktel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13 inch Macbook Pro Nov. 2009 4gb ram

Yeah, I have to agree with you Justin, I used to use Linux on a regular basis from way back in the Red Hat 5 days now I hardly ever use it. OS X just does everything I need and more.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieJustin View Post
I had the same thing happen, but I'm a techie with 10 years of field experience so my reasons for using aMac are somewhat different. I like the unix like OS and the fact I can use mainstream apps.

Having said that,my brother is a doctor and he has a fellow resident who is into Linux. Well this dude said that once I get over the initial "Apple glee"I'll get frustrated.
Which I don't understand. What am I going to get frustrated about?
I hate to say it, but OSX is superior to Linux in every detail.
It's a decent replacement for OS X if you've got non-apple hardware, I love Ubuntu. I'm using it right now. But you're 100% correct. Apple uses an open source base and builds spires upon its foundation.

Snow Leopard > other *nix systems> legacy OS that I only use to let in air.
QUOTE Thanks
vxd

vxd can only hope to improve

What's a "craptop"?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxd View Post
What's a "craptop"?
a bad haircut
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« question about the wife and conversion | Newbie Question »