New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Death of a Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TechieJustin

TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

Yeah. I won't go into details but my 2008 MBP 15.4" has been destroyed. Compltely my fault I sold it for parts on eBay and managed to save the hard drive. I ordered a refurb for $1,500 and it arrived at the house yesterday.
After all these years of being careful with my equipment, I finally did it to myself.
QUOTE Thanks
Gandalph

Gandalph has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.

Go on! I think we are all keen to know how you managed it.
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

12oz of Sprite.
Machine was turned on.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'll bet that was the most expensive can of Sprite you ever drank (or should I say spilled?). You have my sympathy. But this time, how about buying yourself a notebook stand and put that new refurbished MBP on it where it'll be somewhat protected from spills?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

O U C H! Thanks for sharing with us what happened. SO FAR, the only soda damage here has been separate keyboards. The one that really hurt me was my Wired full sized new Apple one.

Anyway glad you were able to replace your machine!
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I'll bet that was the most expensive can of Sprite you ever drank (or should I say spilled?). You have my sympathy. But this time, how about buying yourself a notebook stand and put that new refurbished MBP on it where it'll be somewhat protected from spills?

Regards.
yeah. I bought a keyboard protector and from now on there won't be any drinking in the office.
The best part is after it happened the wireless network went down. I think the machine was shorted out and transmitting junk taking the network offline.
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Yosemite, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

I wont even permit myself to have any liquids near my macbook pro, let alone food. I love it too much and spent plenty of money on it.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
Mahatma Gandhi
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
O U C H! Thanks for sharing with us what happened. SO FAR, the only soda damage here has been separate keyboards. The one that really hurt me was my Wired full sized new Apple one.

Anyway glad you were able to replace your machine!
Well, I probably shouldn't have. Money will be very tight the next few months.
I'm bidding on a Dell D430 without a HD and OS so I can have adisposable laptop shold I need one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesidedog View Post
I wont even permit myself to have any liquids near my macbook pro, let alone food. I love it too much and spent plenty of money on it.
That's going to be my policy.

I'm just so ****** off. I don't understand how it happened. I barely hit the glass, the liquid just jumped out.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Drop Ubuntu on that Dell, and it'll almost feel like home when you need a junker.
QUOTE Thanks
BrentRS1985

BrentRS1985 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 27" iMac 2.8GHz i7 8GB Ram | Mid 2007 15" Macbook Pro 2.4GHz 4 GB Ram | iPhone 4s | iPad 3

My mom dropped a 32 oz diet soda on my macbook pro a year and a half ago while it was on. Pulled the battery and used a shop vac to get as much liquid out as I could and then let it air dry for a few days. I am typing this on it right now. I think the lack of sugar in diet soda is what saved it. The only issues I have had with my laptop is the super drive acting up occasionally (first noticed a year after the incident) and it won't run off of the battery for longer than 20 min (not surprised, the battery is 3 years old).
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
Drop Ubuntu on that Dell, and it'll almost feel like home when you need a junker.
That's my intention. Either Ubuntu or Fedora.
QUOTE Thanks
caulktel

caulktel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13 inch Macbook Pro Nov. 2009 4gb ram

I don't allow any beverage around my MBP because for one thing if I did spill anything on it it would take removing 10 screws to get the back off just to remove the battery, by then I'm afraid it would be all over. Sorry for your loss.
QUOTE Thanks
weemax

weemax is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 9400

I'm the same as a lot of folk. I don't eat or drink round my imac. I did around the PC & it was pretty gross. I don't want my Mac ending up like that. I even wash my hands before I use it! lol

Imac 21.5" 3.06GHz * 16GB iPhone 4 OS5 * No apple knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemax View Post
I'm the same as a lot of folk. I don't eat or drink round my imac. I did around the PC & it was pretty gross. I don't want my Mac ending up like that. I even wash my hands before I use it! lol
And that's the way it should be. Otherwise your keyboard would be swarming with bacteria.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« apple store | Email Configuration dramas »