New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Is there a difference?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ncsu2014

ncsu2014 is on a distinguished road

Okay, so i'm getting a 15in MBP soon and i was wondering is there a major difference in processing power between the i5 and i7. mainly the notebook will be used for college but i do want to run some games and do video editing on it. i will also be using bootcamp. so main question is: "Will I notice a significant difference between the two processors; the i5 and the i7 in terms of power?"
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Yes, there's a difference. Noticeable or not, I couldn't say personally. Here is a benchmark test by gizmodo.com. LINK
Judge for yourself if you think you'll need the i7 or not. FWIW, the i5 will more than handle the tasks you mentioned.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

That chart is for the desktop processor - which I agree - the i7/i5 has quite a few differences. The MBP uses the mobile i5/i7 chip which isn't as differentiated.

If you can afford the i7 get it - if you are budget constrained the i5 is plenty for your needs. The more powerful computer you get the longer it will last (as far as being able to run programs)
Check out geekbench to get an estimate of the mobile i5
Search Results for 2010 i5 : Geekbench Result Browser
vs i7
Search Results for 2010 i7 : Geekbench Result Browser

These are just for comparison - but it gives you an idea of how much faster the processors are compared to each other.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP and Itunes | I am trying to empty my trash but can't »