New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Buying MBP and don't want to screw up!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stouthearted

Stouthearted is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i7 2.93ghz quad core, iPhone 4, iPad 16gb wifi

Alright I'm on the verge of making what I think is going to be a very good decision. In a perfect world money would be no object concerning this purchase, but it is so I don't want to make a mistake. Here are some of my questions about these awesome macbooks:

1. Do I need the faster processer (i5 or i7 in the 15 inch model) or can I get by with the core 2 due in the 13inch? I will be editing HD video (Canon avchd) and doing moderate photo editing in PS. My old HP had a similar processor and it bogged down while editing video.

2. Is the Hi Res and matte display worth the extra money?

3. Is the One to One thingy worth the money.

4. How long will it be before we see those SSDs come down in price? I can't see paying for one now, but I also don't want my MBP to become antiquated a few months after I buy it. Also is this a reasonable DIY upgrade down the road?

5. I'm a teacher so I think I qualify for an education discount. Is this significant and how do I make sure to take advantage of it?

6. Why can't these things be just a little bit less expensive???
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stouthearted View Post
5. I'm a teacher so I think I qualify for an education discount. Is this significant and how do I make sure to take advantage of it?
Yes, that qualifies you. No, it's not significant. You have to show a pay stub or other proof of employment with the school district. If you have insurance through work, your card will do also.

If you're not buying at an Apple Store, I'm not sure you will get the discount on the spot, or how that works. If you buy through a catalog, the prices are usually just as good as the edu discount, but then you give that back in shipping charges. (Last time I took the ED was 2-1/2 years ago.)
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

You get what you pay for. Discount is probably on a percentage. Students get like 5% discount I think? Or 100 dollars off depending on the model.

SSD is still in development, it's not coming down in price any time soon. It's pretty much the same thing as a HDD when it comes to DIY upgrading.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
I'm a teacher so I think I qualify for an education discount. Is this significant and how do I make sure to take advantage of it?
Also check with your local teacher's union to see if they have a buying agreement with Apple. Most unions have buying agreements with large suppliers. Those discounts will amount to more than what you'll receive from the normal educational discount.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
1. Do I need the faster processer (i5 or i7 in the 15 inch model) or can I get by with the core 2 due in the 13inch? I will be editing HD video (Canon avchd) and doing moderate photo editing in PS. My old HP had a similar processor and it bogged down while editing video.
A faster processor will be beneficial to video editing. It all depends on the performance you are willing to tolerate. It can be done on a slower computer but it will be slower.

It's like going from 0 to 60 in a car. Any car can do that but how fast it does so depends on what you want. A Ferrari engine can do it much faster while an economy car will do it much slower. The reason why most people upgrade their computers is because their current processor is too slow for their liking. Just like everything else in life if you want faster performance then you have to pay for it. Usually video editing does require quite a bit of processing power to be done quickly and even more so if you are multitasking.

Quote:
2. Is the Hi Res and matte display worth the extra money?
It is if you get a lot of glare/reflections and it bothers you. That's a rather personal preference and a question only you can really answer. If you use your laptop outside of your house a lot then you will probably get a lot of glare/reflections.

Quote:
6. Why can't these things be just a little bit less expensive???
You are not the only one wishing for that. Welcome to the forums by the way.
QUOTE Thanks
sksk1984

sksk1984 is on a distinguished road

I also just bought a mbp 990. Machine stability is very good, I also bought a ipad, ipad case, Apple's products better and better, I really like
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

Quote:

Here in the UK it depends on whether your a teacher in school, college or a lecturer in Uni. I'm a student in uni and I can get about 100 pounds off the standard macbook however for school and college its considerably less.

Check out the Apple Education Store for the country you live in for more details.

Vikram Shah
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
The reason why most people upgrade their computers is because their current processor is too slow for their liking.
You would think so, but it's not true. Most people are upgrading their computers "upgrading" because they got a virus and it's going to cost 250 bucks to get it off, so we might as well just get a new computer.

The corporate machine at work.

OP - make sure you know what youre talking about, too, because a dual core Pentium (intel also) isn't nearly as quality as a core 2 duo, and clock speed alone doesn't tell the whole story. The C2D has a 3MB cache on the chip while the DC Pentium has a 1MB cache. The FSB varies too.
QUOTE Thanks
Stouthearted

Thanks for the replies...I'm still unsure about the Hi Res monitor. I don't think I need the matte, but can I still get the hi res in glossy? I do a lot of video work and would like to have the highest resolution monitor possible. Is the difference between glossy and Hi res glossy worth the $100? I'm already stretching my meager budget by buying this computer so I want to make sure this upgrade is worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Thanks for the replies...I'm still unsure about the Hi Res monitor. I don't think I need the matte, but can I still get the hi res in glossy? I do a lot of video work and would like to have the highest resolution monitor possible. Is the difference between glossy and Hi res glossy worth the $100? I'm already stretching my meager budget by buying this computer so I want to make sure this upgrade is worth it.
Entirely subjective. Some like it, some don't. Go check it out and see which you prefer.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
You would think so, but it's not true. Most people are upgrading their computers "upgrading" because they got a virus and it's going to cost 250 bucks to get it off, so we might as well just get a new computer.
I was mostly talking about within the Mac community were there isn't really a large concern about viruses. I can see your point when it comes to Windows computers.

Quote:
If this problem is that important to you then I agree with cwa107. You should go to a store and see one for yourself. That is one of the downsides of internet buying. You don't get to see and test out the product before buying. It will also answer your glare vs matte problem when seeing it in person.
QUOTE Thanks
Stouthearted

The closest Apple store is not close...I do have a BestBuy nearby, but they don't have the different models displayed. I'm just gonna suck it up and get the hi res glossy. I'm on the Apple site now and it looks like that is an option. God these machines are expensive...I'm fed up with my Gateway and HP though so I'm excited to make the switch!
QUOTE Thanks
FiosFiend

FiosFiend is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo

I'll give you the quick answers to those question. I just purchased a MBP last year.

1. You don't need the faster processor, but why not get it? My philosophy has always been to buy the most computer you can afford. It will last longer and work faster which to me is worth the extra $. The model I purchased last year has the Core 2 duo 2.8 Ghz and it's very fast. I do video and photo editing and I have no complaints.

2. I have the matte display and I'm very happy I got it. If you ever (and I mean ever) work in brightly lit situation or outdoors you'll be happy you got it. I'd love to have the hi res as well it wasn't available when I got mine but thankfully the matte display was.

3. I did not get the one to one, honestly, you should only get that if you live very close to an Apple store and even then you really don't need it. You can go the Apple website and get every tutorial you can imagine to do just about anything you want or you can come here to ask questions. But, you should get the extended warranty.

4. No idea on the SSD prices but, I got the upgraded 500 GB HD for mine. I'm very pleased with the performance on it.

5. If you're a teacher you absolutely qualify for the discount. Heck, I got the discount just because my daughter is a student.

6. You get what you pay for. Sorry but that's just the way it is. If you really compare the components and features that you get on a MBP to a comparable equipped Dell or HP you'll find that they're not that much more expensive.

Bottom line, if you get a MBP you will not be disappointed no matter what you choose.

Macbook Pro 15" anti glare 2.8Ghz
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I am trying to empty my trash but can't | retrieving history »